Mac Game Suggestion. Please.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Joeytpg, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

Hi guys, someone said was going to buy me something from CompUSA as a X-mass gift, (something around 50 - 80 bucks) so i have to choose something. and i was thinking about a Game.

First of all i'll give you my Mac specs: Powerbook Alum. 15" 1.33 g4 768 ram. Rev.C

i have a list of games and i'd like you to recommend me one. i want a VERY GOOD game that i can play A LOT to kill my boredom. With GOOD-GREAT graphics. I love Doom 3, so i'd like something similar (Theme-wise), a game that has a similar concept as Doom 3 or so.

i'll leave an Open suggestion. And i'll also write a few games that i found on the CompUSA website, that way if you can point out one or two.

1- Diablo II. world of Destruction Expansion
    2- Warcraft III
    3- Shadowbane
    4- Call of duty
    5- Alien Vs. Predator 2
    6- Unreal Tournament 2004
    7- Medal of honor Allied Assault
    8- Return to castle Wolfenstein
    9- Starcraft
    10- Star Wars Jedi knight Jedi academy

as i said i want a DOOM 3 type of game, or something COOL that catches my attention for a good time. :D

I'm a VERY big fan of The Lord Of The Ring. Isn't there a Game of The lord of the ring? i'd buy that in a heart beat! It is? a Mac version?!

thanks guys!

P.S.

another question. Joystick: is it better to buy a "playstation" type joystick or a stick-flying simulation type of joystick??

2. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

well out of the games you've mentioned I've only played CoD on my pb. I have the same spec. system as you and it's runs pretty good at 1280 x 854 which only really bogged down at one point in the game. I would also suggest Max Payne which can probably be found fairly inexpensively.

I'm afraid I'm not much help.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

RTCW is very Doom3 like but what do you expect it came from id. Has a great multiplayer and the single player is very challenging. go for it but watch out for those zombies and those nazi chicks dressed in black. Get by those and you just may meet a few X-creatures.........

4. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

that's alright man, every comment is a help :) thanks for taking the time to answer. appreciate it

5. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

i love unreal tournament. Depends on your fancy however.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Return of the King is available for Mac, and there are probably some other Lord of the Rings games available too. I have ROTK on my 1.25 G4, 1.25 GB memory, 64 MB Radeon 9000 Pro, and it doesn't run very well :(

7. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hmm... If you liked Doom 3 for the shooty-ness, then UT2004 is probably your best bet... There isn't much of a story, but there are a very wide range of gameplay modes and the online multiplayer (or just LAN) makes the game even more worthwhile. If you liked it just for the overall "goodness", then Warcraft 3 would be my choice. The graphics are VERY good, even for a game that's a couple years old. (At high resolutions with the graphics all the way up, it looks phenomenal!) The gameplay will last you much longer than Doom 3 or UT2004, as the multiplayer is the BEST I have ever seen. It is a real-time strategy game, but it's a very fast, very simple yet complex one, and my favorite game of all time.

Please note that when I say RTS, Warcraft 3 is nothing like C&C Generals, Civilization, or any of those games... This is much faster paced, like SC but better. (Bring on the flames! :p)

Conclusion... You like FPS? UT2004. You don't so much? WC3

If you play WC3 and like it, I highly recommend the frozen throne... Adds new heroes, units, yadda yadda.

8. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

ok ok cool, thanks a lot for the replys.

i've narrowed it down to two games. The return of the king (but i'm curious now, because Nermal said it doesn't run well on his machine which should be pretty much the same as mine...and he even has double memory ram than me.

...and the other game.... Return to Castle Wolfenstein....which by the screeshots looks great!.....Warcraft seems cool too. i don't know i can buy TWO games i think.......which ones you recommend?...i REALLY REALLY like The Lord Of the rings and EVERYTHING about it (movie, documentary etc) but i don't know how the game plays and the graphics and the overall feel of the game (too childish, simplistic, etc.) i want a cool game that takes me INTO the game. that's what i liked about the old Doom I. at it's time it made you feel like you were inside the game holding the gun and scared the living jesus out of me when i played it!

...so what i don't like about unreal t. is that it has TOO much stuff, and i can't concentrate in one or two things!.... is Warcraft like this too? or is it more simple?

Can anyone help me with te joystick stuff too? (playstation type joystick or flying simulation type?)

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Warcraft 3 will run great on you PB (the exact same as mine..), it also run on my G4 400mhz with gf4mx(not great but enjoyable...).
    I've heard that WC3 is on a hybrid CD, which means that the mac and PC verion is on the same CD. Look at your local pc store and see if it works on your mac, then you probably can have it for $20-30....

Look here for a review of lord of the rings for mac
    http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=496
    The reviewer used a 1.0ghz 12" pb and said it ran ok, but the game was begging for a bit more..
    You can also find a review of WC3 and RTCW on the same site!

Also UT2004 is a great game but it won't run superfast on you PB, i have UT2003 and it runs good, but not great. (haven't ried ut2004, but it will dermand a bit more cpu power..)

10. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

If you want a game where you an get INTO it... then Call of Duty by all means. There's no monsters (Just Germans), but that game brings you into a little world where you can stay for hours and never want to leave. Then again, many people say the Single player campaigns are too short. Oh well, your not interested in that anyway. Castle Wolfenstein is fun, but you have to play a bit before you get to the monsters. If you like Doom, then Unreal Tournament Classic, 2003, or 2004 might seem fun (I've played them all and I have 2k4). If you just HAVE to shoot monsters then Unreal Tournament 2004 has the Invasion gametype, where waves of mosters attack you and the other players and you shoot them and blood goes *bloop bloop... yeah that stuff. RTCW is fun, but if your going to buy it for the WWII aspects... then Call of Duty by all means :)

Oh, and I dont do the Fantasy LOTR stuff, srry :(

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

CoD is great fun, but I enjoy WCIII a lot more - you can play vs the computer for fun without having to play single-player campaigns or online, which is nice when you've got a laptop. You might or might not know that you can play WCIII off of a disk image (see here), but CoD won't work that way, meaning you need the CD in the drive to play. Annoying....

12. applekid macrumors 68020

CoD.

But, if Rise of Nations was to be released sometime soon, I'd say go for that. It's supposed to shipping soon.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Go for RTCW and UT2004 and Warcraft3. Im sure if yook hard enough you can find some deals, heck i bet there are even members here who may have a copy they no longer want and willing to let go for a bargain price. Look around.

14. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Return to Castle Wolfenstein...I've been playing this title for over 2 years now....I have it for mac, pc, and xbox...multiplayer will give you hours upon hours of enjoyment, and single player is ALWAYS fun. I'm a HUGE fan, and I believe it's the BEST game available for the mac.

My 2 cents....

15. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

thanks everyone!....i just ordered Lord Of The Rings The return of the king. and Return to Castle W. probably in a month or so i'll order Unreal Tournament 2004.

I need to buy a Joystick.........which ones you recommend for this games?!?

16. James L macrumors 6502a

Mouse + Keyboard = First Person Shooter excellence!

I game on my Mac, my XBOX, and my Playstation2... there is NO competition between playing FPS games with a mouse and keyboard and playing with a game controller. The mouse and keyboard is far more accurate and easy to control the little details. Not too say that game controllers suck, as they work fine for my console games, but I definitely notice a difference.

As you are talking Powerbook, note that I am saying an external mouse, and not the internal trackpad. Not nearly enough control there. I have the Apple wireless mouse with my 1.5Ghz PB.

17. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

18. lordmac macrumors regular

Demo's

First off the asnswer to weather wcf3 is hybrid is that it is. Blizzard has always had excellent support for the mac.You never have to wait for a mac version from them and they are never just super crapy ports we seem to see to much these days. But my other solution to your question is demos!
    Download some so you can get the feel for the games and see how well they run on your machine. I know there is a mac unreal turnament 2004 demo and a wcft3 demo and a call of duty demo avlable on the mac. Also there is halo for mac wich is a great fps. Oh ya and for a great older game (not sure if they still sell it though) is quake 3 areana. You can find many mac demos here: http://macgamefiles.com/ though there mirrors can be somewhat slow, but better then nothing. :)

19. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

20. rccola70 macrumors regular

Call of Duty

and soon to come:

Call of Duty: United Offensive

It have great single player (based off of Band of Brothers and Enemy at the Gates). Multiplayer is very addictive..I play for hours at a time with friends. Realistic too...

21. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Tell your mom to get you Return to Castle Wolfenstein. The single player will only keep you busy for a few days to a week or so, but the multiplayer is quite good.

Two other fun single-player games are No One lives Forever 2 and Call of Duty (also has multiplayer).

If you want the ultimate time-wasting multiplayer game, I recommend Medal of Honor: Spearhead (I'm assuming you already have Halo). I wasted many days just playing the 2 maps on the multiplayer demo alone!

22. JLaFrance macrumors member

I'd say World of Warcraft, but that isnt an option, so whatever. Still, i think it would blow the other ones out of the water. :cool:

23. roadapple macrumors regular

24. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

The first Aliens vs Predator was great and scared the hell out of me. I have part 2 but haven't played that much of it yet.

25. 1_4m_m1n3 macrumors newbie

ut2004

I would definatly go with unreal tournement. it offers a unique choice of game type options, and also hase a great interface. its like doom three in the way that the weapons and character abilities. having played both, i think that ut is a better game then doom three, but people who enjoy doom three are sure to enjoy this game. heres a link to the demo

http://www.unrealtournament.com/ut2004/downloads.php

the mac demo is the third link under the downloads area. hope you like it.

if you like ut, my email is philip.straub@verizon.net, and my sn is comablack503. get in touch with me, and we can play.