Mac Gamers Unite!

Discussion in 'Games' started by jaredcash, Jan 29, 2003.

1. jaredcash macrumors newbie

Hello, all. I wanted to take a moment to revel in our wonderful new gaming freedom. Remember when Doom first came out and we all had to wait for MacPlay to port it just so we could play it? Heck, the Quake III demo was released first for Mac. We don't have to worry about that anymore, right? Well, we all know that's not true. LucasArts, who used to make all sorts of games for the Mac, have practically stopped making decent games for us altogether. In the last 5 years, we've received Racer, Jedi Knight II (all hail, the king of FPS), a couple of kids' games, and Battlegrounds. That's it. Where are the rest? We'll buy them, right? They know that, right? Well, uh... maybe they don't. Which is why I'm sending this message, now. I think that we, as a force, could bring to the attention of PC game developers that Mac users do INDEED play games and DO want them to bring their games to the Mac. Not all of them, sure, but at least the good ones. Which is why I am currently developing a website with links to forums, web sites, polls, support pages, and other internet locations where we can voice our support for developers who have already decided to make a concerted effort for us and to tell those other guys who aren't working so hard that we do indeed deserve to play the latest games, too. If you're with me, and I really hope that you are, come to

http://www.ripcordfilms.com/mgu/

and start typing away in those forums. Let the world know that we DO want those games. Mac Gamers Unite!

Jared

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

good post i just read the the gaming entertainment industry just did 6.9 billion this past year! I think apple has figured it out but should be doing more to make all their machines more respectable when it comes to gaming rather then worrying on stepping on the toes of the next powermac! Coming to this site you would think all there is are developers and photographer's! Good luck with this and you should try to link up with some of the mac gaming sites if possible such as inside mac games. Its amazing how so many mac users out there are not getting the full enjoyment they could from their machines. Still waiting for UT2003/Doom3 and of coarse Halo. Rock on Return to Castle Wolfenstein! Games are what are pushing the pc envelope just look at the video cards and the cpu's. Hopefully the Apple world has started to catch on but by the comments i get at this site they act like it is almost sacrilege to run games on a mac. well they can miss out on the fun but iam not and with that said i think ill go try to run old Tony Stewart into the wall on Nascar 2002!

3. job macrumors 68040

job

Sounds like a good plan.

I've always wanted a network similar to Fileplanet/Gamespy, just Mac-specific.

The name even sounds like a UK football team:

Mac Gamers United. :p :)

4. jaredcash thread starter macrumors newbie

It's so nice to see people who actually care about this. I've posted this message all over the Mac rumor forums and most of them ignored it, or never even got on the topic. One forum actually locked it and said i was "advertising". But if you guys really are interested, go visit the site and voice your support at the forums that links are provided to. We'll be adding more sites in the future, so check back often.

Thanks!

Jared

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

gr8 site!

Love it where you mention: "best viewed in Safari" :cool:
    Is Chimera also OK?

Keep it up! And advertise more!

6. russoesq macrumors newbie

I just posted my first message on the forum in the discussion of the new iMacs, expressing my disappointment that Apple just doesn't seem to care about competing with PCs as a gaming platform. The latest revision of the iMac seems to have an inferior graphics card for gaming and the system may be a little slow for a good gaming experience. I have no expertise in the computer field so I won't pretend to know enough to offer some suggestions. I just want to express my frustration at Apple because I think they may be losing a lot of younger people to PCs based on the advantages PCs have as gaming platforms.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I hope you mean the 800 MHz iMac...

I understand your frustration, but don't tell me you got the 1 GHz iMac, 'cause I can't believe that this baby (with enough RAM) including the GeForce 4 MX isn't fast enough for the current games?
    I would really love to know.

8. russoesq macrumors newbie

I've read in various forums that the GeForce card in the new imac is not as good as several available in PCs or new Power Macs and, thus, I question its utility as a competitive gaming platform. Let me add that I don't pretend to know if, in fact, this criticism is warranted but from the perspective of competing with PCs, I'm concerned that the new iMac is perceived as including last years technology. And , of course, providing a system that developers like EA will make games for.

9. kenkooler macrumors regular

Great idea... I'll be putting the link in my signature and I suggest other users to do the same

10. couch potato macrumors regular

well, i built and am currently gaming on a really fast PC, but if i had my way, we would all be playing on macs. i will also post at the website. :)

oh, by the way, for those who do play online games, there is a gamespy aleternative called gameranger. theres tons of people on there. you can find more people to unite or just look for some gaming fun. click here to download it for OS9 or OSX. its great, i have had it for a while

11. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Yes - GameRanger's the daddy!

If it wasn't for Scott Kevill, we'd be sitting around scratching our appendages, wishing for someone to play with...

:D

Gaming has come a long way since the Mac first came out. And MAC gaming has come along in leaps and bounds in only the past few years. One of my biggest gripes, however, is the use of controllers and joysticks thru OSX. We now still have to run 3rd party programs such as USB Overdrive (which doesn't deal in joysticks - yet) or Gamepad Companion (which does) in order to operate them. Why doesn't Apple either:
    a) bring back InputSprockets for OSX, or
    b) implement these great programs into the next OS build?

Oh - and Force-feedback would be good, too.

Maybe then we might have a chance against the mighty PC games' machine juggernaut...