Mac Gaming Mouse

Discussion in 'Games' started by thechris69, Jan 28, 2006.

1. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

Whats the best mouse to play games with? cuz it horrible to play a shooting game with the apple 1 click mouse, u cant zoom or secondary fire or anything. any suggestions?
    ooo and style counts!!!:D

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Any gaming mouse'll do. For mac-like style, I'd recommend either the MacMice "The Mouse" (which I have) or Apple's own Mighty Mouse. However, for hardcore gaming, I'd recommend a laser mouse (I got a 2nd-hand Logitech MX1000 - do not get this mouse if you're left-handed :p)

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Logitech has many mice designed for gaming. The MX1000 is my favorite. Do not get the might mouse. It is not intended for gaming. You cannot easily do multiple clicks at one time.

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I've prefered microsoft mice for their feel since their original one. And they now have a laser mouse too.

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I have a logitech MX510 on both of my computers, and I love it. A little while ago, logitech updated the mx510 with the inroduction of the mx518. It has DPI settings and what not. I would definitely check it out if I were you.

6. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

If you want a true gaming mouse, go for the Logitech G5 or G7. I have the G5 and it is absolutely fabulous. The sensitivity adjustments are surprisingly useful.
    -Ted

7. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

8. Lincoln 6 Echo macrumors member

Logitech Mouseman Three-button and Microsoft Wheel-mouse Optical.

9. Echinda macrumors regular

I have a Mac Mighty Mouse and its not the greatest for games. Since it doesn't have actual buttons, you have to be pushing in the right spot for a click to register as a left, right or centre click. But, and I suspect it has to do with how you hold a lozenge shaped mouse, the left click sweet spot feels huge and the right click sweet spot feels tiny. When playing twitch games I have to consciously remind myself to reach my finger almost all the way around the right side to the desk so as to ensure a clean click. Which sucks. The best mice are one you don't notice you're using.

On the plus side, I like the scroll ball. Much better than a standard wheel because with its small radius you can really crank it with one spin if you need to, but you can go slow when that is called for as well.

10. Rye Brye macrumors newbie

The Logitech G5 is amazing

I would highly recommend the Logitech G5 for a gaming mouse. The resolution adjustment is very useful - and at 2000 dpi it is extremely precise and fast at the same time.

It also works on a white reflective surface that may MacAlly mouse would go crazy on.

If you are left handed, it's a no-go, but if you are right-handed, it's a dream come true.

11. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Is the G7 compatible with Mac? From the Logitech website, seems like it's only for PC.

Have both the mighty mouse for my PowerMac and an old Logitech MX500 for my powerbook at work. Am thinking of buying a new one for games and heard great things about the MX 1000 cordless. But will consider the G5 or G7 if either is great for games compare to the 1000.

12. Rye Brye macrumors newbie

about the G5

I haven't used an MX1000 for very long, so can't comment on that. I am not sure if the G7 works on mac, but I don't think it really matters. Wireless mice really are not a good option for gaming - they are heavier - for one - and there is potential for lag.

I've had my G5 for a month now, and although there is no logitech software support for it on the Mac (on the PC you can fine-tune the resolution buttons... etc) - it works great for games. It's a full-speed USB device (12 megs/sec) and can click 500 times/sec. The adjustable weights are a nice touch - so you can fine tune it so it feels right.

On 2000 DPI it's a godsend for FPS games because you can have fast-twitch response and turn around really fast - and also fine precision control when you want to snipe somebody. (You can also turn the mouse resolution down in the game, but the step down from 2000 DPI to 800 DPI is a bit steep - and the 800 is quite a bit slower... I guess if you really really had to be precise it would work)

The texture on the G5 is very nice. It's also got gigantic feet on the bottom that are super smooth and will last forever.

Oh - and the cord on it is SUPER long, with a noise-trap on the part that plugs into the USB port. The cable is protected with a braided-rope. It's built to last.

That's my opinion. If you search online you can find them for reasonably cheap. As a side note, the supreme quality of Logitech mice (particularly the G5) make Apple's attemps in the field (like the MightyMouse) seem rather lame. Every person who has used my G5 has made the comment "Wow, that's a really nice mouse." (Not something you hear every day about an average input device, now is it?)

13. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Thanks Rye Brye for the post!

For my old Logitech MX500 and keyboard, I did download the Mac support from their web page. Does this not work for the G5?

Thanks for the great review on this mouse! Initially I was going to get the MX1000 to play games such as Halo (and work...nah). But am convinced to get the G5 mouse!

Thanks again! :cool:

14. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    the RAZER PRO mouse owns every other mouse out there in DPI, form factor, and buttons.

15. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

I would like to add another recommendation for the MX 1000. It's great for gaming and editing. And it's really comfortable for the right-handed web-rats who surf for hours on end. Also it's one of the nicer logitech wireless mice out there with complementing OS X software drivers and/or preference panel. Something to consider if you want full functionality from all the buttons on your mouse for gaming.

16. shadowkhas, Feb 4, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  17. dephlt macrumors newbie

i have the same mouse, but was under the impression that under usboverdrive, the maximum dpi that you can reach is 1400dpi or there abouts:confused: - not the maximum 2000dpi that you can achive under windows, using the logitech drivers and setpoint...

am i missing something or have i simply been using the mouse at 2000dpi all this time without knowing it :eek:

OTHERWISE, it is a fantastic mouse, with a very good feel and it is VERY responsive. i would definately recomend it.

18. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Dont mean to be retarded but, what is DPI and how much DPI does a standard whit USB apple mous have?

19. dephlt macrumors newbie

dots per inch - now i *think* that it means that the sensor on the mouse can read that many dots per inch or something thereabouts. with higher dpi, it can read a greater variation in mouse movement.

what i DO know is that the more the dpi, the less you have to move your mouse to move your cursor on your screen ie the cursor is more responsive to your touch.

in games this is good, especially in first persons, but while doing normal stuff, like websurfing, it is tough work cause you tend to *overshoot* your links that you are trying to click becuase the cursor simply moves too far :)

i assume that the standard apple mouse is at 800dpi, as that is what most optical mice have.