Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjddrum1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
I dont know why but my macbook pro has been getting very sluggish. I have 2.16 w/ 2GB 100HD. Im not sure why. Anyone know any reasons of macs being slow?? Not sure if my memory is being hogged by something or not

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
do you shut it down at night, or leave it to sleep? There are maintenance scripts which run in the early hours of the morning, and skipping these can make the computer run slow.

cjddrum1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
my computer never shuts down...its always on unless its idle for 3 or more hours then it goes to sleep, and im up till about 2 every night anyways so it should be on around the time it would run those scripts

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
hmm... maybe try repairing permissions and see how that goes.

If you dont know how to repair permissions, go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, single click the hard drive volume in the bar on the left, and click Verify Disk Permissions. When that scan finishes, click Repair Disk Permissions. :)

Attachments

• disk utility.jpg
    disk utility.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 156

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Repairing permissions is unlikely to help, and with Tiger, the Mac no longer has to be on in the middle of the night to run the maintenance scripts.

What will almost certainly help is a reboot.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i agree that a reboot can always help but repairing permissions for me clears up RAM usage (i always have more RAM available after repairing permissions). restarting has the same effect as repairing permissions, though, in the sense that i always have the most available RAM after restarting.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
yeh Reboot.

I usually can leave my MacBook Pro on for about 3/4 weeks, and then it really needs a reboot. It starts feeling incredibly sluggish and the genie effect/general graphicsy stuff gets very slow and jerky...

obrien234

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
Brighton, MI
Onyx

I use Onyx to run my maintenance scripts. It's pretty much the perfect culmination of a lot of other programs, along with a bunch of other handy things.

Give it a look.

hardhatmac

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
Utah
bump...

noobie question here.......

does repairing the permissions erase the drives? I have some very vital files that are too big for me to back up (8-900 GB total) and I can't risk losing them, but my G5 has been acting funny such as programs closing unexpectedly, compressor not opening at all, FCP closing when trying to export, and all around sluggish proformance.....

let me know...

thanks!

ps: she's a G5 2.5 quad, 6.5 GB ram, 1000 GB storage....

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
bump...

noobie question here.......

does repairing the permissions erase the drives? I have some very vital files that are too big for me to back up (8-900 GB total) and I can't risk losing them, but my G5 has been acting funny such as programs closing unexpectedly, compressor not opening at all, FCP closing when trying to export, and all around sluggish proformance.....
No it does not erase the drive. repairing permissions does just that makes sure that all the files have the correct access rights and if they don't changes them to be correct.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I find my mac gets a bit slower if i keep it on a lot. I tend to restart it every 2-3 days which helps a lot.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
how do you check the access rights and what is correct? sorry, I'm new to this...

It's done automatically by Disk Utility. Repairing permissions used to be an important maintenance routine for OSX, but not so much since Tiger. There's no penalty for trying, but I agree with the above advice that rebooting the Mac is the first step for dealing with sluggish performance.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
does repairing the permissions erase the drives? I have some very vital files that are too big for me to back up (8-900 GB total) and I can't risk losing them, but my G5 has been acting funny such as programs closing unexpectedly, compressor not opening at all, FCP closing when trying to export, and all around sluggish

If they are vital files they should be backed up to protect against hardware failure. As three 320GB Firewire/USB externals cost about £300 (which isn't much compared to the cost of the Quad) it's money well spent, especially as your G5 is playing up.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Probably a memory hog that you are leaving on.

If you are running a mozilla app, safari, torent, etc. that you leave on all the time -- it may be one of those apps.

In fact Apple used to note that to improve sluggish performance, either reboot or log out and back in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.