mac going to x86!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by nillinu, Feb 7, 2004.

1. nillinu macrumors newbie

Feb 6, 2004
    mars incoming! (sacremento LA)
    I resently read in a mac article online that this was the last mac to be on PPC and that the next is going to be on an X86 ! Does anyone know what these two are and what the difference is? Thanks!
  2. HexMonkey Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
    Firstly, this is not true (where's the article anyway?).

PPC is the processor of all macs made in the last 7 years or so (includes G3, G4 and G5).
    X86 is the processor of Wintel machines and compatibles.
  3. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    PPC is the PowerPC chip that Moto and now IBM makes known to the consumer as G3, G4, and G5. x86 is the line of processors Intel, AMD, etc. make.

The chips are different so much that you cannot put an x86 program on a PPC chip and vice versa. Hence, you use Windows with Intel, AMD, and Mac OS with PPC chips.

Both chips have a future, and a major software manufacturer would be silly not to at least have prototypes for both chips. Apple has supposedly developed the Mac OS for the x86 chip, but Steve really likes where IBM is taking the PPC chip, and has no plans (at least no sober serious plans) of making the switch for many many years to come.

Of other note with these chips: GameCube used PPC based, and XBox used x86. The XBox Next (XBox 2) is heavily rumored to be using a PPC chip very similar to the G5 chips.
  4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says.....ah, the monthly "mac to x86" thread....oh yeah!
  5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    IBM has been making PPC processors for as long as anyone, so it isn't a "new" thing that IBM is making one just because they make the G5. In fact, the G3s in all of the iBooks were IBM made, too. That said, there is no way they'd switch, it's an old legacy technology, it's completely different in architecture, and then suddenly not a single program we have would be compatible and there'd be utter chaos.
  6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Wow... its not like this is the second topic on this in community disc...

If they have a working OS, I doubt most of the software you are seeing on Windows will work at all...

So it doesn't matter.
  7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
  8. amin macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    There's a more appropriate site being built for this sort of subject discussion, and it's coming soon here!
  9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002

I think this is the weekly, "I've been drinking too much cheap booze again," thread.

Attached Files: