Mac GRE software

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ifjake, Oct 1, 2006.

1. ifjake macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    I'm looking to purchase a GRE study book that includes a CD with some practice questions and quizes and such, but the ones I'm coming to aren't Mac Compatible. Does any studious MacRumor forum member know of one that is?
  2. beatsme macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2005
    can't help you with that, but this website might be of interest to you. And a hint, from experience: dunno how proficient you are in math, but study hard for that section. For me it was a bunch of stuff I hadn't had since high school.
  3. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2006
    the math portion is pretty ridiculous. no calculator!
  4. ifjake thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    Wow didn't know that. No calculator! Good to know.

And thanks, beatsme, that site will work some I think.
  5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera

No calculator, just like the good ole days. :)

Better that way, in my opinion.
  6. lordparamus macrumors newbie

Jan 21, 2008
    If you need to focus on vocabulary?

I have tried and it worked well for me. They have a artificial intelligence vocabulary teaching technology or something like that. also for other parts make sure you read kaplan gre...
  7. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2007
    The Princeton Reviews "Cracking the GRE"

had some mac compatible tests when I bought it a few years ago.

They were pretty helpful in my opinion. I think they changed the GRE this year though. Good luck!
  8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    Back in the day, Kaplan and The Learning Company (I think?) had SAT prep software. But it's been like 6 or 7 years since I've bought anything like that. Never took the GRE, and studied for the MCAT from books, so that's all I've got for ya.
  9. Shlomit27 macrumors newbie

Sep 25, 2009
    GRE for Macs

McGraw-Hills 2009 Edition GRE has practice tests in the book and a CD that is MAC compatible. The official GRE software is NOT compatible with MACs:(
  10. byocrysis macrumors regular

Nov 10, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Baron's GRE book is what I used. It comes with a practice test CD that is mac compatible. Pretty good book, I only studied for 6 days and got a 1240.
  11. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2007
    Dude, if you know math you're set. I was fine, didn't study one lick.
  12. kellen macrumors 68020

Aug 11, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I got the kaplan flash cards for vocab, plus the book on it. I took a couple tests, not timed. Listen to how they say to write your essay, it really helped me.

I got a 790 verbal and 670 math, so 1460 total and a 4.5 on the written. I felt very enthusiastic, but don't know if it was a fluke or worth it.
  13. it5five macrumors 65816

May 31, 2006
    New York
    The best prep software I've used has been the Powerprep software that you get from ETS, but it's not Mac compatible. You don't really need software to study for the GRE though. It's nice to know what the computer test will be like before you go sit down and take it, but for me it has been just a lot of vocab flashcards and workbooks. None of the programs I am applying to (for history) care about my math score, so I have been able to focus on improving my verbal score.
  14. nyte3k macrumors member

Sep 15, 2008
    This may help, we have a GRE category in Cram within our test portal. you may find some useful tests that others have created. Try it first to see if this fits your needs.
  15. iChanged macrumors member

Oct 1, 2009
    What??? A 790??:eek::eek:
    Dood tell me the secret please. I came here to look for a cure to Powerprep's mac 'incompatibility', for find a 790!!!! :eek::eek:
  16. it5five macrumors 65816

May 31, 2006
    New York
    I'm surprised someone who got a 790 on the verbal section could only pull out a 4.5 on the writing portion.
  17. tomgreg2008 macrumors newbie

May 13, 2012
    of GRE prep software…

Hey folks. I realize this is a bit belated but
    here is a solution for the mac incompatibility
    of a lot of GRE prep software…
    Either install a mac/windows dual boot using Boot Camp
    or install Virtual Box and install windows
    inside this. I ran Powerprep on windows installed in
    Virtual Box and it worked fine. It was perhaps slightly slow
    but it worked okay.