Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Can you be more specific about "issues" for Batman:AA? Do you just mean it's slow as well?

Yeah, the GPU was being under utilized. It ran OK, but ran slightly faster with the 5770 because it was being used 100%, where as the 680 was being used like 20, 30 tops.

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
BareFeats ran some benchmarks on the new web drivers:

http://barefeats.com/gtx980ti.html
Wow, this a really some remarkable improvements. :eek:
What did they do in their drivers in the last few years? :confused:

In the regular non-Bloodhound maps I would average around 130-160, sometimes as high as 210 (like on cs_office).
Short update on the CS:GO stuff: I did a short OS X vs. Win benchmark on my rig using this Dust2 Timedemo.
On maxed out settings (1920x1200, 8xMSAA, everything else High/Very High) my R9 280 achieved 155 FPS average on OS X and 188 FPS average in Win7. I'm perfectly fine with that, 20% diff isn't a dealbreaker to me.

Can you record a timedemo of some "critical" map? Would like to see if it's a general OS X/CS:Go problem or 'just' something in the Nvidia driver...

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Yes, I still like my GTX680 & 770 GPU's. :D GK104 is still competitive, except for OpenCL.

Last edited:

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Wow, this a really some remarkable improvements. :eek:
What did they do in their drivers in the last few years? :confused:

Short update on the CS:GO stuff: I did a short OS X vs. Win benchmark on my rig using this Dust2 Timedemo.
On maxed out settings (1920x1200, 8xMSAA, everything else High/Very High) my R9 280 achieved 155 FPS average on OS X and 188 FPS average in Win7. I'm perfectly fine with that, 20% diff isn't a dealbreaker to me.

Can you record a timedemo of some "critical" map? Would like to see if it's a general OS X/CS:Go problem or 'just' something in the Nvidia driver...

I've since bought an Xbox One and am no longer interested in gaming on OS X.

HOWEVER - I'm very curious to see how pro apps (or even iMovie) utilize the GPU, and if it's all proper 'n stuff.

Can anyone with a similar card to mine do some tests with Mission Control on Yosemite (or El Cap) and tell me when they start to lag? I can have like 20-23 windows open, but any more and I'll get frame rate dips. Is that normal with a GPU like a 680?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.