Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

holy MAC!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2003
have you noticed that if you custom your ram... it's way way more expensive than say if you bought it from crucial.... and i mean a LOT MORE expensive......

for example
the superdrive emac comes with 256 ram
if you want to upgrade to 512 (1 dim) thats $100

but you can just buy a stick of that for less than 100 from crucial.... i mean... you still get the 256 it ships with.....

what is apple trying to pull?????

the only time ram was worth it was when they had that $40 for 2x ram deal....

Mblazened

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2002
The Valley
Apple's pricing is expensive, but it comes installed & tested.

Depending on the machine, installing the 3rd party RAM could be difficult.

GO ahead and install it yourself if you think want to. If you don't know what you are doing then it is a hassle.

A lot of companies offer free RAM upgrades for imacs and such but charge you $40 for installation, so its not really free.

Cheaper is not better!

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Made of Gold?

Yeah, my Dual 1GHZ MDD had 512mb installed but I later maxxed it out to 2GB from crucial. Certainly Apple seems to think its memory is made of gold, which is certainly possible as I believe certain RAM chips are gold plated.

-Dual 1GZ Powermac G4 MDD, 2GB Ram, 2x120GB HD, Superdrive, Combo Drive, Nvidia Geforce4 Ti 4600, 17in. Apple LCD, Klipsch Promedia 2.1+2 SWS.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
Quote from Mblazened
GO ahead and install it yourself if you think want to. If you don't know what you are doing then it is a hassle.
Installing RAM isn't that hard on a G4. Actually, it's quite easy.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: Mac gyps people's ram money....

Originally posted by holy MAC!
have you noticed that if you custom your ram... it's way way more expensive than say if you bought it from crucial.... and i mean a LOT MORE expensive......

for example

but you can just buy a stick of that for less than 100 from crucial.... i mean... you still get the 256 it ships with.....

its good business strategy. Apple sin't going to sell a whole lot of ram, so better to do it at a high margin, like most of their products.

Further more they have a captive customer base. Not captive in that they can't go anywhere else, but people buying machines from apple will often just decide to just have apple put in the ram regardless of the cost, just for convienence or becuase they don't know any better or don't know how to verify third party ram will work. Obviously if you do a little bit of research, you don't buy ram from apple, or any other cmoputer manufacturer. You go directly to a third party. Apple doesn't care, for every person they lose they are probably making 2 or 3 times the profit on someone who does buy from them, so theya re still coming out ahead.

Remember, apple is a corporation, whose sole purpose is to take away our money and make it theirs. Their business practices will reflect this. So they aren't trying to pull anything, they are just making sound business decisions based on real world economics.

tazo

macrumors 68040
Re: Mac gyps people's ram money....

Originally posted by holy MAC!

for example

Unless crucial starts making computers then the price to upgrade ram in a computer will never been on par with what you could get in a third party store. Every other computer manufacturer, including your large PC companies overcharges for ram.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
I still can't believe that Apple ships any computer with only 128...that's not enough to run OS X let alone very many apps...It's sooooo slow...they should include AT LEAST 256 on every mac they sell. I upgraded my sisters iMac to 256 from 128 and it's like night and day. She just thought macs were slow until I did that...and I'm sure many think the same and continue to do so because they don't realize it's just a RAM issue.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by jholzner
I still can't believe that Apple ships any computer with only 128...that's not enough to run OS X let alone very many apps...It's sooooo slow...they should include AT LEAST 256 on every mac they sell. I upgraded my sisters iMac to 256 from 128 and it's like night and day. She just thought macs were slow until I did that...and I'm sure many think the same and continue to do so because they don't realize it's just a RAM issue.

The solution is so simple: buy it from a reseller. They usually throw in between 256MB and 512MB of extra RAM, depending on the model.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I've always bought it with the minimum amount - I'd actually love to have a zero ram option;)

And I've changed memory on dozens of macs, way back to Centris and 6100s - even if it requires a little extra work, its never been a hassle.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.