Mac hacked in under 10 seconds at PWN2OWN

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Mar 19, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Apple Hardware
    Link: Mac hacked in under 10 seconds at PWN2OWN
    Description:: So just how secure is your Apple computer now that Mac hacker supremo Charlie Miller has broken into a MacBook in less than 10 seconds?

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

So, how long did it really take?

3. macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Code was loaded through an unsafe website. All he did was type a url. Absolute hollywood hogwash.

4. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Exactly. The PWN2OWN is stacked against Macs to begin with ... the "competition" was IE8 and FF3 running Windows 7.

No IE7, no Vista, no XP ... how many people are running IE8 or FF3 on W7?

5. macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Whaaat, that's crazy. But really, if that is how my computer needs to get exploited, I'm cool with that.

6. macrumors 6502

munson

Two minutes.

7. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Everybody I know who uses Firefox has been automatically upgraded to FF3. It's been out for quite some time now.

8. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

But are they running it on Win7? That's the point. OS X is up against a beta OS, there hasn't been any time to find vulnerabilities, much less exploits.

9. macrumors 68040

How old is this now? At least a year.

At an event sponsored by Microsoft nonetheless.

10. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, this is this year's event.

11. macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Hey - my favorite show is Hollywood Hogwash; you better not be ragging on it!

12. macrumors G3

clevin

it shows apple's products aren't any better, if not obviously worse, security-wise.

Now, clock is ticking! lets see how long it take for vendors to patch it!

13. macrumors member

14. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

And also according to Engadget, Microsoft is releasing IE8 today at noon.

Using a beta OS versus a shipping OS is moot when the exploit was done using a web browser and not the OS. Sure there's a connection, but I don't think it's significant - especially between Vista and Win7.

15. macrumors 65816

parapup

Well, not really a hogwash by any means. It wasn't like the user had to click through to run a malicious binary after heeding to all the security warnings. It was more of a "click-a-link and you are pwned" thing.

The code on the site was run to exploit the holes in Safari. Ideally Safari should not be executing it but the flaw means that it does and user is pwned.

16. macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I understand that.

A)I was quoting The Simpsons
    B)I think it's cheap that the claim is 'under 10 seconds' when in fact he did the work beforehand. That's what I think is brutal.

17. macrumors member

Koronis

Better they found it now, during a security contest, than someone actually using it for malicious purposes.

18. macrumors G3

clevin

thats the real truth, sadly somebody here are just so defensive that they choose to deny everything...

Holes are everywhere!, stop denying it, better just goto apple and file a bug report and demand they fix it ASAP.

19. macrumors regular

they should have used safari 4 beta on a snow leopard build to make it an equal footing lol

though it should b the same result unless apple know of the exploit...

20. macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well, I'm glad people are finding these bugs and Apple is fixing them.

It just proves that the Mac isn't 100% bulletproof. Well, OK, we already knew that. Nobody really expected that there would NEVER be exploitable security flaws on OS X.

I do think it's kind of childish that people are going "In your face! We found one! We found one! That proves you suck!" when the predominant competition is absolutely chock-full of viruses and vulnerabilities. But, I can understand why they would be waving it in the face of anyone equally childish enough to try to rub into the Windows users that "Macs are perfect, they have no viruses, so nyaaa!"

21. macrumors regular

Anybody who downloaded Win7 Beta, gets IE8 automatically. I have Win7/IE8 installed on my 4 year old tablet PC for over a month now.

Welcome to Window web surfing Apple. This is the kind of stuff Window user goes through when surfing the web. Good thing this guy is doing it for this competition and there's not a hundred of him pumping out these codes.

22. macrumors 68020

munkery

Often for these competitions the macs are set to run with constant root privileges which is not the default configuration for a mac. But the default configuration for an admin account on a windows pc is to have constant root privileges.

If this is true in this case, then they are not comparing the default mac configuration to the default windows configuration. So, in the end it is just propoganda.

23. macrumors member

The goal in this contest was to run code in the context of the application (i.e., Safari). Root or not root is an entirely different issue. And anyway, on typical single user systems it really does not matter that much if code is executed as root or not.

24. macrumors 6502a

Really, P2O proves nothing about real-world situations.
    The only good thing is that the bugs present in the browsers will be patched.

25. macrumors 6502

Every version of Safari from day 1 has had the same issue and Apple always fixes vunerabilities.

This does not mean that a virus, malware or spyware got installed on your system.

People worry about a few vulnerabilities when new code is written for Macs but what about the 300,00 viruses addware and spyware affecting the World Of Windows?

Microsoft has been at risk since 1974!

--Eric