Mac Halo speeds towards release - Target date is December 3r...

Discussion in 'Games' started by MacBytes, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

sweeeeeeet

i'll deffinantly give westlake my $50 for halo. mayb i'll get a 512 megabyte upgrade with my powerbook too...

2. twocoasttb macrumors newbie

I don't get it. I'm a Mac user, but downloaded the demo and tried it on a PC. Am I missing something? Is the demo just not representative of the actual game experience? To me, the whole thing seemed kind of unexciting, especially compared to something like BF1942.

3. dracoleb macrumors member

Halo is has been optimized for the Xbox. i know it wasn't originally designed for that but when the focus changed the game changed. This game is fairly old but still the best game on the Xbox, still selling full price too. The PC version for some reason or another is extremely slow, even on a high end system. Hopefully the Mac version will be better but it still won't be the experience the Xbox version was.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

if they make full use of altivec it should run great, look at ut2K3 after ther fixed it up with more altivec, lets hope the pc version is just crappy coding.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Four years ago, it was a big deal. Bungie were doing great things, especially since they were doing it from a Macintosh perspective.

I'll be glad to see it, but it's probably just too little, too late. :(

6. Chealion macrumors regular

twocaostb - The Halo demo is a VERY stripped down version of the real game. Like the graphics are set to the lowest they can go, and a few other things.

I want Halo 2 and an XBox.

7. Tarje macrumors newbie

Definitly. I played Halo on Xbox, and later on, in a PC, not the same thing.

I also want Halo 2 :D

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

9. lewdvig macrumors 65816

????

No they are not. Why would they make a crappy demo to sell the game? The graphics are based on the capabilities of your card ( fixed function, DX7, 8.1, or 9.0).

I finished this game in one day. Apart from being easy, I thought the story was quite lame.

10. twocoasttb macrumors newbie

I thought the graphics were quite good using DirectX 9.0b. It was the gameplay I found lacking.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

i wonder how this will look on open gl? they say they are trying to have the game run good on a 867 or maybe i shoud say run. ill be getting it.

12. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

run good (well i don't care) on an 867!? that's my machine! sweet... wonder if they'll use altivec?

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

well its official see apple's games site for a nice review and explanation of Halo anyways system reqs are.....Mac osx 10.2.8 or 10.3...............800 G4 , 1gig or better recommended ...........256 ram 512 recommended..........32mb video 2mx / 7000 or better 64mb recommended.....1.4 gb hard disk space. anyways there you go, should be out first week of december.

14. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I played Halo for the PC, and it is not bad, but it gets very drawn out toward the middle of the game and the story gets stupid.

I have a pretty fast system but it is still kinda slow for me :(

15. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I have a G4 1.25, 1gb DDR (400MHz stuff borrowed from my PC), and a 9000 and it can barely handle UT2k3. I don't care what anyone hear says - it is not playable.

Unless Halo runs better on Macs than PCs, I have no hope of playing it on my machine. I needed a P4 oc'ed to 3.36GHz, 1GB ram, and a 9800Pro to play Halo.

Apple would be wiose to get a 1.6GHz (or faster) G5 in the iMac soon. Not everyone wants to spend lots of $$$ to get a G5 tower (I didn't).

Right now the G4 in the iMac is bottlenecking that crappy GFFX 5200. Sad.

16. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

yea... i hope my powerbook 867 can handle it... i doubt it though... i need to get extra ram or somethin...

17. drmac macrumors newbie

1.25GHz G4

I'm running a 1.25Ghz G4 with 768MB of RAM. I can run Unreal Tournament 2003 with fairly high graphic settings very well. I don't understand how people could be having a problem with performance.

I've got a nice cozy spot on my hard drive just waiting for Halo!

Just...a...few...more...days!!!!

18. Shekky_ca macrumors newbie

you guys are lucky to even have decent macs...

I can barely run Ghost Recon on my computer ;)

iMac G3 350 MHZ 30 GB HD 320 MB Ram

19. Sunrunner macrumors 6502a

Sunrunner

Halo will rock

I have a DP 1.25 G4 with 1.5gig of DDR and a GeForce4 Ti card.... UT2003 plays great for me. In fact, I play it with ALL of the settings maxed out and never have any problems at all.:cool:

I have pre-ordered Halo: Combat Evolved, and I can't wait to check out the graphics on that game... they are supposed to be very sweet.:D

If your complaining about this game because you have some old box that wont handle it, then that is most likely a good indication that it is time for you to upgrade.