Mac Halo to Hit Testers This Week

Discussion in 'Games' started by MacBytes, Oct 20, 2003.

1. MacBytes macrumors bot

2. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Speed?

Once beta testing begins, they will work on speed optimization. Let's hope they can get more out of it than the PC version, which I've heard is a very poor performer!

After all, the XBox itself just has a modified GeForce 3, 64 MB system RAM, NO dedicated VRAM, and a 733 MHz Pentium 3! (Granted, you only need 640x480 to play on TV.)

The game is supposed to have better graphics than UT2k3--I'm looking forward to it IF it can run nicely on a new PowerBook!

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

your right about the performance issue on the pc side. lets hope the mac version will be the best version they make. i dont think it will match ut2k3 graphics wise because the original game is older but is still going to be awsome if we get a good port. I would say if you are playing UT2k3 then you will be playing halo, and if you cant play ut2k3 then you probably wont have the juice for halo. anyways one of the best 1st person shooters ever made.

4. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I am hoping that the poor performance is due to it being originally developed on Mac.

I only get 70fps on Quake 3 so I doubt Halo will run very well on my iMac.

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

On Legendary difficulty, Halo has a habit of slowing down quite a bit and skipping frames on the Xbox, so either way, it is not the best performing game...it's great, but it just demands too much from your hardware when the action gets intense.

6. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Extreme Tech did an article today about using Halo as a benchmark. They make frequent mention of the poor performance, even on 3.3 P4 with a 9800P the game struggles to maintain 50fps.

Yikes!

7. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

yea, i've noticed that too on halo on legendary... i hope it runs on a g4 867...... i think it will, and i don't mind giving it bad resolution.... its one of the best first person shooters ever!

8. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

9. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, that is one of the additions from the xbox version. I think they also added a bunch of maps, a flame-thrower, and a fuel rod gun.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

True. I have it on my PC rig (P4 3.0GHz, 9800Pro, 1GB RAM, SATA Drive) and although it runs perfectly well (as it damn well should with these hardware specs!) it never runs at insane frame-rates. Just enough to keep it nice and smooth to the eye.

11. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Oh man, I'm getting excited about Halo for the Mac then. I just thought it was going to be a straight port from the PC/Xbox version.

Long live the old Bungie (the ones who brought us Marathon!)

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Will it have added missions or a harder difficulty? I've beaten the Xbox Halo on Legendary 3 times already and since Halo 2 won't be out until next year now, I am hungry for some more Halo goodness to keep me at bay.

13. job macrumors 68040

job

To be honest, the textures are a straight port from the X-Box and it shows. The detail level is absolutely horrible, especially if you compare it to the semi-complete HL2 beta/demo that's floating around the 'net.

14. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Yeah, I agree. I keep turning on my Xbox hoping Halo will get more difficult. I'm just drooling waiting for Halo2. Well, so much for that 2003 winter release...

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

16. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

17. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I want one of those plasma swords that those invisible Elites have...damn, that would be worth getting the Mac version just for that.

18. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

Halo PC runs alright on my computer.. not the best specs,... in fact the lowest of all the ones posted so far... Then again its on low everything... I think Halo Mac will be a great way for me to test out My new G5... And mark my words, if it runs baddly on the mac I just paied an arm and a leg for Its going to be drop kicked to hell...

19. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If it does run poorly, don't get mad at the computer, but at the software coders who didn't do a good job. It isn't the fault of the computer if a programmer does a horrible job at porting a game. It could be the fastest computer in the world, but if the software isn't written correctly, it won't do squat for you.

20. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I just installed Halo on my P4m laptop with Radeon 7500.

It runs great at 10*7 lowest effects, highest texture quality. Hmmm.

I think its the fixed function code path that runs best. Halo on PC has four code paths:

Fixed
    Pixel Shader (PS) 1.1
    PS 1.4
    PS 2.0

The laptop is a DX7 class part so it does the fixed approach (lowest) and the game runs fine. It looks good too.

If the Mac has these options we will be OK. Your ete-candy experience will vary depending the capabilities of your vid card.

Other PC users: you can force the lower code path to improve performance. This is a good idea for NVidia card owners.

21. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

*sighs* I remember when Halo was originally demonstrated. It was beautiful on a blue-and-white G3 with a Rage 128. MICROSOFT, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?!?!

22. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

It's Microsoft, so they had to add the required amount of bloat to the code as usual.

23. Miki macrumors newbie

Hmmm. I've also tried demo of Halo on my laptop w. P4M 1.9 GHz and GF4 460go and I've found it playable only in 640x480 with all details set to lowest. It is ok when you are just walking and looking around (25-30 fps) , but when the fight starts and there are > 3 enemies on screen, fps drops to 7-15 so it is not very playable (and BTW on GF4 MX it looks worse then UT 2003). I would recommend at least ATI 9000 / GF3 if you want to play this game properly. Oh and minimum cpu requirement of 733 MHz is a laugh. I've downclocked laptop to 1.2 GHz and framerates dropped 30-50%. So you decide for yourself what minimum system requirements SHOULD be.

Anyway it is very fun game and I bet it would be awesome for online team blasting. Too bad you can't ride in the gunners' seat in single player campaign while the cpu controlled soldier drives the Hummer, but you can't have it all...

24. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Yeah, being able to gun on the Warthog would be killer since the CPU controlled marines are lousy shots.

25. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I have just played the first ten minutes or so while still on the ship. Shooting - but indoors. The outdoor levels probably stink.

10*7 with max Textures. I will play some more tonight. I can do a video if you need proof.

My laptop was the fastest one on the 3DMark 2001 SE results pages for a 1.6 P4 with 32 meg 7500. I think my top score was 5600 pts. :D