Mac Halo To Ship December 3rd

Discussion in 'Games' started by MacBytes, Oct 21, 2003.

1. MacBytes macrumors bot

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

THANK GOD!!!

Whoepie!!! Only thing is.... I have a G3 B&W....:rolleyes:

3. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

No info on minimum machine specs?
    I have a 933Mghz G4 with a GForce4MX card.
    I'm thinking about getting a Radeon 9000. Worth it?
    I'd love to get a Radeon 9600 Pro but I can't find it anywhere. Just the 9800 and that's just overkill for me.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

this is great news, jesse james i think you are just in, also think of this a newer generation of cards is coming out so prices should drop soon. nvidea has some announcements and ati has the 9800xt now so dont be to quick to jump on that 9000 pro( its a small step up from your 4mx) if ati would just give us a high end card with adc, anyways there will still be a lot of people wanting this for the mac. Lets hope for a nice clean well thought out and written mac version that uses altivec and the new g5 if also. am i crazy?

5. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

6. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

o_o....... i hope my 12" pb can play halo.... what do you guys think? pb 867 mhz, 256 megs of ram (i'm plannin to upgrade to either 384 or 640) and the 32 meg vid card (can i upgrade my vid card?)

7. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Re: THANK GOD!!!

Ironically, Halo was originally demonstrated on a G3 B&W. And it was gorgeous!

8. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

would my 1 Ghz 17" iMac superdrive be able to run it? i really hope so. and maybe i can use my USB controller:)

9. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Re: Re: THANK GOD!!!

So I can still prospone getting a G5 and play Halo on my G3 B&W?!?! :D

Unfortunately, if I see the other post on Halo (hitting the testers), some say that even on their top of the bill wintel PC it's running poorly....

10. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

11. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Actually MS has not contributed a single line of code to Bungie's Halo. MS is just the publisher.

If the code is bad, it is because of the 4+ years of dev time and several target platform changes. No one forced Bungie to accept MS's offer.

I am not fan of MS, but the coders are the ones to blame if this is bloatware.

Personally I think its a case of lots of features being grafted onto the core engine (squad AI, pixel and vertex shaders, mutliple code paths and new APIs) as dev went along.

I bet Halo 2 will be cleaner.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

true, lets hope it looks all right on any 1gig g4 mac or better, its so nice to finally leave the g3 everyone should have altivec! Halo will still be a lot of fun for those of us that didnt go over to the dark side. i wonder how the coding is going for the mac version???guess we will know come dec3. maybe Halo and a new video card for christmas:) I think ill work that line on the wife. ;)

13. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

It was ported to Xbox and apparently is being ported back. Still not the same game, and it was the characteristics of Xbox that necessitated the changes.

14. Codemonkey macrumors 6502

I don't want to poo-poo the game, it's a fun game... but I think we've moved past this... I've already played it and beat it on the xBox (and I don't even own the game or the xBox, this was accomplished with two rentals)... I think most people have.

To me, it just seems like a waste of time. It's an old, short game.

It *was* a great game, a year ago. I used to follow the Bungie crew's postings *daily* until they got bought by MS. Their posts started to dwindle until they pretty much stopped.

And, since then, we go from like 30fps on a B&W G3 to likely barely playable on a 1Gig G4 (speculation)...

I dunno - it seems futile to me. There needs to be more games released simultaneously, a la Blizzard.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

seems to me to be 1 code made into another made into another...wonder what we end up with.high end 3.2 gig p4's are just making 60 frames with 9800's i sure wonder how playable the mac version will be. anyone seen halo on a mac yet??

16. lewdvig macrumors 65816

There are multiple code paths depending what video card you have. Macs will propbably get fixed function path - no shaders. The game will run fine on a decent G4 system with a GF3 or greater.

60fps is for the dx9 codepath (pixel shader 2.0). If you force pixel shader 1.1 or fixed function the framerates go way up (and the game looks like counterstrike - showing its age).

Textures are not improved vs. XBox. The quality of textures is more important to me than shaders.

But the game runs fine on my laptop in fixed function mode. I am a frames/second snob so I would not say this if it were not true.

17. Codemonkey macrumors 6502

Hehe. This is the most honest statement I've heard all week...

18. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I actually get more enjoyment benchmarking games and writing about it than playing them. Whatyagonnado? That the way I am.

Speaking of games!!!!

Battle of Alberta tomorrow night.

Die Oilers Die!

19. Codemonkey macrumors 6502

LOL! You in Cow Town!?!? Hang on... er... the game is on Saturday... that should give you an extra day to become an Edmonton fan... :D

Are you for real a Calgary fan? Don't come near the City of Champions towne limits, we shoot you on sight! :p

20. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Yeah. I live in Calgary so I inherited the team. Our new jerseys are better. Todd McFarlane is a traitor!

I would be more proud of Bioware right now than the Oilers. :D

I guess the Blues are tomorrow then? I guess I could go look this up, eh? :D

21. Codemonkey macrumors 6502

LOL what the hell man - you a couple days behind? :p we lost to the Blues 2 nights ago. It was a barnburner too - Salo got pulled early.

I find it strikingly humorous that year after year Calgary slams Edmonton, yet we *consistently* rank higher than ya's in the standings , the true test of mettle.

LOL still makes for a fun rivalry, mind you. I'm not saying , I'm just saying.

Heck, even your star player, Iginla's from here. :p
    :rolleyes:

22. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Its gotta burn to see Lombardi playing so well, huh? :D

Yeah, there has not been much to cheer about the last few years for either team really. Are you going to the Commonwealth Stadium game? That will be cool. Too bad the Rocket passed away.

You have any good Mac stores up there? The ones here stink.

mymacdealer: $90 for Warcraft III

westworld computers: just try and buy a computer from the 'I am a president of the FCP users group' guy. he never shuts up. he makes me so mad I could buy a dell.

Maybe I will just order from Apple.ca

23. Codemonkey macrumors 6502

Ya, we haven't been doing our "City of Champions" signage justice, that's for sure. :p And yes, most of the Apple stores stink up here. There's only one good one downtown... for the life of me, I can't remember it's name tho. I do all my shopping on the apple.ca store now. I sure wish they'd open up two Apple stores in AB: One in Chinook and the other in WEM. We certainly have the demographic/populations for it.

24. Chealion macrumors regular

E-Town? Ewww!

Go Flames.

I've found Westworld to be quite good and I've never met this "I'm the Final Cut Pro User Group President" guy.

The same with mymacdealer, although both places can be a little pricey on some things. (UT GOTY was $35 when you could get it for PC for $5)

25. Codemonkey macrumors 6502

Just one more note:

At least we're not from ...

TORONTO!

:D

Anyway, I forgot about eBay - I've purchased just over $1200 in software from there, and - I think I may have just been lucky - none of it had been opened, I even called the various vendors with the serial #'s to see if they had already been registered. I think I saved just over $500 on the lot if I had bought them full-bore retail. Definitely a good resource for the frugal Mac zealot. :)

Even if you ARE a Flames fan.