Mac has a Windows-style Start Menu built in

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nate, Aug 28, 2004.

1. nate macrumors member

Maybe this is something everyone knows about, and I just happened to discover it.

I've hard of programs that put a windows-style start menu onto your dock, but I accidently discovered that Mac OS X (panther, at least) already has the ability to do this.

I didn't know that.

It's easy. Just throw the Applications folder onto your Dock. Then HOLD-CLICK for a second and the Windows-style Start Menu appears. You can also RIGHT-CLICK if you have a two buttoned mouse (like me).

Maybe this isn't big news to anyone, but it is to me and I thought I'd share it just incase someone else didn't know.

--nate

PS If you're getting the old familiar windowed menu (shows home, music, etc), you probably double clicked. Right-click or hold-click, and up comes a menu. It looks almost like the windows menu, but better, because it's a Mac menu. :)

2. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Wow!

Are you discovering new things?!!! WOW!!!

Attached Files:

• eu.jpg
      eu.jpg
      File size:
      48.8 KB
      Views:
  3. nate thread starter macrumors member

hey, give me a break. I'm new at this mac gig. I've only had my mac for a while. gees.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yep, you can do that with any other folder too. It's pretty useful, as long as you keep your folders from having 5 zillion files so that the menus don't have to scroll. Other useful additions are your home and desktop folders.

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Welcome... take it easy, I know it's a pretty nice feature, if you may need it, give "Dragthing" a try ... google for it...

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hehe, thanks bud. ;)

I've never bothered because I didn't find the use for it on a computer at school with this "feature", but I've tried to add my Home folder onto my Dock, and it just goes "poof", as the dock isn't accepting it.

I just wanna know out of curiosity sake how to add it into the Dock. I really can't find a folder I go to often enough to take up even more space (mine is loaded!).

7. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

to add a folder to the dock, do it beside the trash, take care ;)

8. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Don't take him as a representative of the Mac community, there are rude people everywhere :rolleyes:

Hope you're enjoying Mac OS so far :)

9. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

it isn't working for me... :confused:
    oops! it did now... :eek:

10. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

When it pops up, just type the name. It highlights it, just hit enter. Even if there are a zillion files.

11. beefcake macrumors 6502

I discovered this a few months ago and have used it every day since. When you put it in the dock, make sure its on the trash side of the divider, otherwise it won't work.

12. Felix_the_Mac macrumors member

13. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Thanks, I didn't know that. Very useful since my Apps folder has approximately a zillion files.

14. Porsche macrumors newbie

Didn't know that...helps a whole lot with my zillion applications...thanks! :D

15. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

the little delay it takes for the window to open is because of those zillion files. to speed that up, you can make a new folder, and simply drop shortcuts/alias' of your favorite applications into that folder, and drag it to the the dock. as long as only alias' are in there, it should pop open faster when you right click on it. of course, seeing as how it is not the applications folder, you'll have to add an alias of any new software you install to that alias folder.

if your looking for other 3rd party software to emulate the windows menu-like os9 menu bar - check out this thread for more options.