Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fireball370

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
bay area, ca
Hello All: so quick, random question. back in the day when I was on a PC, there was a defrag feature on windows. is there a similar HD maint. app on mac or does disk util. take care of that for me? thanks in advance. :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
For the most part, the Mac takes care of itself. Defragging is unnecessary for most users because OS X automatically defrags small files on the fly. If you really want to have control over some maintenance features, Titanium Software offers a couple of good, free programs in OnyX and Maintenance.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Hello All: so quick, random question. back in the day when I was on a PC, there was a defrag feature on windows. is there a similar HD maint. app on mac or does disk util. take care of that for me? thanks in advance. :)

Repair permissions in disc utility and use MacJanitor- http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10491

Also, I like to clean off my entire hard drive once a year and reinstall everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.