'MAC Help' keeps quitting!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by john_satc, Mar 31, 2005.

1. john_satc macrumors 6502

each time i go to 'mac help' (Finder -> Help -> Mac Help) i open the application, it openess for like a second, and then closes. what is wrong?! i tried force relaunching finder, it did it, but still help remains the same.
    any ideas?

on a side note, less importantly, how do i save a picture as .jpg? oon my old windows maching there was a drop down menu when you saved work which allowed you to choose what format to save as, i can't seem to find this when saving work in osx.

thanks, john

2. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Hmm, i know that i have had this problem before. Mac help isnt that great. Well if i was you run permissions..zap PRAm and the try again. If you really cant find it in Mac Help then there is always apple's support website .

3. john_satc thread starter macrumors 6502

i tried reparing disk permissions, not sure what the other things are that u sed. still not working :(

no one else have ideas?

4. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Try this

Delete the preference file for the app. In your home user folder, navigate to Library/Preferences. Delete the com.apple.helpviwer.plist file. Then try relaunching the app. If that does not solve it, it is possible that a third party app's Help plug-in corrupted Help Viewer. In that case, you need to do more work to resolve the issue. But try this for now.

5. john_satc thread starter macrumors 6502

i tried this and it didn't work. 2 seconds later my iBook completly crashed - i coudlnt do anything. beachball for 5 minutes. so i called apple and they talked my through force shut down etc. i then spoke to them about the mac help issue. the guy told me to move 'com.apple.help.plist' and 'com.apple.helpviewer.plist' to the desktop. then i logged out then back in and mac help was working fine. i trashed both the preferences and now its working good.

thanks for yours help though ! :)

6. petej macrumors regular

Deleting the Apple Help cache somewhere in your home/Library/Caches (not using mac at the moment so can't be more precise) worked for me. Somehow it must have corrupted. Drove me up the wall for days.