.mac help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slackersonly, May 15, 2006.

1. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    Just purchased my first Mac and one of the main reasons are iLife and .Mac.
    I signed up for the trial .Mac for 60 free days and to give me some time to find the best deal. However, when I am publishing my iWeb page, I am getting an error message that I have exceeded my disk space.

1) What is the disk space given during trial vs full license? I don't remember seeing anything pointing out a difference when I signed up for the trial. Is it 25MB trial and 1GB full?

2) How do I see what is on my iDisk? I see 2 different sets of conflicting (to me) info.
    a) System Prefernces > .Mac > iDisk shows 6MB out of 25MB
    b) Log-in to my .Mac account online, click on iDisk in left column, all items have a size of zero except 'about your iDisk.rtf' which is 63kb.

3) Is .Mac iWeb upload smart enough to replace the old webpage data with the new, ie: if you max space is 25MB, your current webpage(s) are 15MB, and the new update webpage(s) are 20MB, will it replace it or have an error stating 35MB>25MB limit?

4) What is an easy way to reduce the size of my photos? I am using the 7MP setting on my camera which is generating an average picture file size of 3MB. Is it better to reduce the setting on my camera or reduce the file size after importing it into iPhoto?
  2. slackersonly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    i know that today will be a bad day for all posts that dont start with "i just ordered a macbook. yeah!" but a little help would be greatly appreciated.
  3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Yes, the trial only gives you access to 50 MB of space. .Mac FAQ

(Space is initially split evenly between mail and iDisk, that's why you only see 25 MB)

On reduction, make copies, or use the export. It's nice to have the originals handy in case you change your mind.
  4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    I believe that it is 50MB for the trial period, but it's been awhile since I upgraded so I'm not too sure about the exact space. Remember that this is divided between Mail storage and iDisk space.

I'd say that the .Mac account online would have a more accurate total of what's currently being used, but this is total speculation on my part.

The newest version of iWeb should certainly only update the parts of your webpage which have changed since you last saved, and so I believe that your space requirements would be fine.

I always shoot digital images in the highest possible resolution. Then, in your computer, you can downsample them to JPEGs, reduce image dimensions, etc. As long as you have ample storage space, be it an external HD or DVD backups, I'd say shoot 7MP RAW images (or tiff's as the case may be for your camera).

Hope this helps.
  5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    Yes, I agree to shoot photos in highest possible, then downsize in the computer. For posting to the web, you can downsize a ton and not lose quality unless you are posting for download so someone can print them out, etc.

Welcome to Mac and .Mac. .Mac is great- there are cheaper options out there for some of the elements you get with .Mac, but no one has them all in one place. Also, those individual elements you find in other places usually take more work to use- just depends on your time and interest.

Yeah, posting a question on a day with a new product release is not the best idea to get replies.:D
  6. slackersonly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    Thanks to all!
    I will resize the photos to see if it will fix the over capicity problem.
    it should, but then again when i published to a folder it was 21.5MB which is under 25MB so i may be missing something else.