mac@home, PC@work people?

Discussion in 'Community' started by anneleonard, Mar 25, 2003.

1. anneleonard macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2003
    Reading, UK (a.k.a. Strongbadia)
    Ok, so i've only just switched, but I'm really miserable at work now! :( I just hate my work windows 98 pc. and now i've got used to where the @ and " keys are switched to (from british PC keyboards), i'm having to unlearn it and then in the evening relearn it. also the use of the control windows/apple and alt keys are annoying me! i like the way it happens on a mac, but now i'm control clicking, and apple clicking, my head is a mess! :confused: i also miss the beauty of my iMac.
    anyone else have this problem, and if so, how did you get around having to use 2 OSs per day? please tell me there's some light at the end of the tunnel, otherwise I might consider working from home in the future! (I'm a researcher so I can do that :cool: )
  2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002
    I've tried for ages to remap my Windows keys to match the Mac (I have 2 of each on a KVM), but I constantly find that I hit the wrong one.

After a while, you'll only do it once or twice, but its annoying nonetheless.
  3. pivo6 macrumors 68000

Dec 2, 2002
    You will eventually be able to differentiate between the OS's, at least I was able to. Of course, I still must look at the keyboard to type. If you can work at home, then go for it. I wish I had that option.
  4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Only 2 OSs a day? I use Windows 2000 at work, but use it to access Linux and Solaris boxes (which sometimes assume different keymaps) and the Mac OSX at home. You quickly learn to switch without even thinking about it.
  5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Every time I get on my wife's windows 98 laptop I cringe....haven't really played around with XP, though. I'm perfectly happy to stay with the mac and she might even get a 17" iMac and get rid of the PC. WooHoo!!

But I use both pcs and macs at work. Thankfully my time with the pcs is much less. And that's running NT which is relatively ok.

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    well at home I have 2 Macs...which makes life easy... ;)

at work...I manage 5 Macs...and we hae 1 PC which I barely touch (God, I hate that thing!)
  7. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Well you are living the life that many dream. Just think if Steve announces the PPC 970 at WWDC, maybe we can convince more businesses to switch. Mac people can always dream can't they! :)