.Mac homepage can you??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Dec 15, 2004.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,
    I'm thinking of buying into .mac.
    On the Homepage you can create, can you add items (easily) like weather forcasts, stocks, favorite sports team results, etc??? Or is it mostly to share pics, etc
    Thanks.
    Frank

2. denm316 macrumors 6502

You can do normal HTML stuff if you want to, as for the "easy" osx integration, that is how to share photos and stuff.

3. tykles macrumors member

I just recently purchased a .mac account with the primary goal of putting together a site for my upcoming wedding, and i have found homepage to be extremely limited in terms of what you can do. you have to use their templates, which are fairly specific. once i have time, i probably WILL use them to publish some photo albums and some of my fiancee's written work, but for the wedding site, i have been using the contribute3 trial that comes with .mac. that has been really useful. yesterday one of the guys at the genius bar suggested freeway express as an even better solution, so i'll probably get the free trial of that and go from there.
    hope this helps.
    there is also a site called dotmac.info that has a lot of useful tips on publishing through .mac
    cheers

4. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

All in all, do you think it's worth the 100 bucks/yr??? What can you do that you can't do for free with Mail, iCal, etc, plus other free web site mailboxes???

I'm trying to substantiate the money for the value you get with it.

Frank

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

For my wedding, I found the Wedding Channel website was perfect for us, not to mention FREE.

6. tykles macrumors member

worth it or not worth it? honestly, i'm not sure yet. for me, time is at a premium, so consolidating a number of things into one program that I know will be stable and easy to use, instead of patching together domains, email accounts, etc. is worth it to me. I also use idisk, backup, some of the free software etc. i also want to publish web content in addition to my wedding site, which is why i didn't just go for the wedding channel or the knot. i also like the ability to create multiple email aliases for the same account, allowing you to separate out online shopping (which will accumulate spam) from important correspondence.
    i think you could buy a domain from yahoo for like 5 or 10 $ a year if that's all you need.
    anyway, there is a 60-day free .mac trial. see if you like it.