Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
What is different about the homepages between .Mac and the trial version? I am using the trial version and under the upgrade now features it includes homepages. Are there more than are shown in the trial? Does anyone have any examples of them?

I have four more days of .Mac and I really want to get it. I just wish there was monthly charges instead of all at once ;)

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
For homepage stuff I have 9 options for iMovies on the homepage, and for photo albums I have 17 themes to choose from. Overall there are like 68 formats for different things such as your public iDisk, site menu, iMovies, iPhoto slide shows, writing pages, resume pages, baby announcement pages and education pages. They keep adding to these as well as other .Mac benefits every so often so I expect these to expand in the future.

Some other key benefits are:
You can get referrals for others to join and get 20% off your own subscription renewal (they say you can even get five people to do it and therefore get your year for free).

the email account is very reliable- they had some early problems(12 months ago) with reliabilty, but I have had no issues with system being down in the last 8 months- and I use it for my primary account and access it dozens of times a day. The backup and homepages are great and reliable as well. They had issues right when I signed up with homepage, but since then these problems have been solved. They also provide many free software programs like PhotoStudio (which is like PhotoElements) among other offers. Really, the back up space they give you and the ability to back up your important files without even thinking about it is terrific.

Being able to sync your book marks and addresses is very handy if you ever access the net from another PC or mac. With the bookmarks, you simply sync with.Mac and then wherever you are you can go to .Mac, open a small window that has all your bookmarks from your browser at home in hypertext form...very easy and handy for when you are not at home. You don't need a mac to access the bookmarks or address book online and you can send mail though the .mac web page too.

There are lots of free music for use in iMovie and iPhot slide shows, sound effects from Skywalker sounds, Keynote themes if you use Keynote (which I don't) and lots of training series videos to help you get the most out of your software from Apple. The file sharing with iDisk has made it easy for me to share pics with my inlaws as they just go to my idisk page and download what pics they want to print.

:D :D

Good luck!

Attachments

• education samples.jpg
    education samples.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 91
  • imoviesamples.jpg
    imoviesamples.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 98
  • photoalbumscreenshot.jpg
    photoalbumscreenshot.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 116
  • writingsamples.jpg
    writingsamples.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 98

niter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
Do you know if you can post your own designs? That is, I have Dreamweaver and I coud be making my own websites.

Thanks.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
niter said:
Do you know if you can post your own designs? That is, I have Dreamweaver and I coud be making my own websites.

Thanks.

Yes, you can post your own web pages using your own software. Let me look more into it...will let you know

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
From my .Mac homepage page:

Publish HTML Pages to your HomePage

If you create web pages using third-party HTML software, it's easy to publish them on .Mac. Prepare your pages using the software of your choice. If you want this site to be your only .Mac site, copy it directly to the Sites folder on your iDisk (be sure you've named the site's home page "index.html"). If you want to be able to publish other sites on .Mac, create a new folder within the Sites folder and copy your third-party site to that new folder. Your pages are automatically published to the web with the URL homepage.mac.com/membername/foldername/pagename.html

Organize Pages into Multiple Sites.Want a photo album to be just for family, your resume just for professional contacts, and your newsletters for the whole wide world? You can use HomePage to organize your web pages into multiple sites. When you open HomePage and see your pages listed, click "Add another site" to create a second site. Then drag your pages into the appropriate folders. You can even password protect any of your sites so you can control who sees the pages.

does this help?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
niter said:

Thanks.
Yep, no problem. Just build your site and then drag it over to the "sites" folder on your iDisk. You can even work on it live, direct from your iDisk. Then every time you save, your Web site will be updated. But I usually like to test things locally before I upload them for the world to see.

niter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
Flyfish. Thanks for your help. I put you down as a referral.

Thank you for your help, too, wordmunger.

Have a great weekend. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.