.mac? how about .bs?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gus, Aug 6, 2002.

?

Will you buy .mac as it is now?

1. Yes, I've already signed up!

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Probably, when it's closer to Sept. 30.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Maybe, I'm going to wait until Sept. 30 to decide

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Absolutely not.

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Look, I know that there a lot of members out there that can justify the new scheme that Apple calls .mac, but how many of you can honestly say that you like what you are seeing with Apple making this move. I am disappointed to be honest. Some of you will say, "Apple is first and foremost a company, and companies need to make money". You are absolutely right, but companies that only have 5% market share shouldn't be pulling the carpet out from under loyal customers.

For those of you that will say, "Fine, then go to Windows", I say no, because I fundamentally like Apple and its products, but what made Apple different was that they went out of their way to make themselves a more "personal" personal computer. Remember the old "computer for the rest of us slogan"? I'm really sorry to rant here, but I have got to get this out.

.mac is nothing but a licensing scheme just like every other company is pulling. There are other ways to go about doing this (like a tiered pricing system or cheaper options that leave out some features), but they have chosen not to give us the option. You will all tell me, "then don't buy .mac". Fine, but if many of us did not buy it, then maybe a message would be sent.

Thank you if you read all of this, and I feel better. A little. ;-P

Gus

2. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

This has SO been done to death. Pay, don't pay, I don't care. Just quit the bitching.

3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

There has been about 20 thread on .mac and about 5 polls like this. It's been almost a month. Get over it.

4. Huskerflute macrumors newbie

I agree with Gus.

As a loyal mac user, this whole .Mac scheme causes me a heck of a lot of frustration too. In the past year I have become one of the most die-hard fans in the club. My reason? Apple's entire philosophy and desire to truly "Think Different". The free e-mail, iDisk utility, and homepage features are a big part of why I converted. They are also a big part of why I've been converting all of my friends. Now, these features are suddenly taken away from us and I can honestly not think of a single reason to promote Apple's new scheme called .Mac to any of my friends. Maybe I am being closed-minded in my frustration. But really, let's examine just how GREAT the new features are: iDisk=convenient, yes, but I can burn a CD-RW of my backup info just the same; e-mail=nice, but I can get a free one from Yahoo! or just about ANYWHERE else; homepage=really cool to have the Apple logo at the bottom of your page, but I can buy my own domain name and lots of extra features, including e-mail, & more options in personalizing my pages for about the same price (actually less in the long run); iChat=cool, but I've got Proteus & all the others for free and do we even know if we can use iChat without a .Mac account yet? What's up with the lack of information here? They make it sound as though ALL of the features are gone unless you buy .Mac. Are they?

So....as I was 2 seconds away from converting my account into an "e-mail only account" (I had made up my mind I was not buying the full account), trying to follow the directions I read in the FAQ's on Apple's site, I could not find this "E-mail Account Manager" that they spoke of for the life of me. Hmmm...coincidence? Finally, my boyfriend found a page (God knows where, he had it bookmarked and couldn't remember how he found it) explaining that the only way you can convert your account into an "e-mail only account" is if someone you know buys the full .Mac account and buys your e-mail address for the extra $10/year. THIS INFO WOULD'VE BEEN HELPFUL IN THE FAQ'S, you know, somewhere maybe say, after it gives you instructions on how to convert your account and makes you assume it is SO simple. How about some more information for those of us who might NOT upgrade to the full account! They design their pages in such a manner that ASSUMES everyone will upgrade. Well, sorry Apple...I've been loyal, but I'm not your pet dog. Kick me in the face once and I definitely won't come running back to your side. "Everything's easier on a Mac"? Well it WAS until .Mac. Now it's no better than everything else out there in the playing field.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. :) Best of luck to all of you who are frustrated by this, and trying to make the decision whether to buy .Mac or not....I feel your pain.

5. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Why on Earth have a bunch of you bought a product that will remain free for 7 more weeks?

When a landlord offers a free month of rent as a move in incentive, do you guys go, 'Nah, I'd rather pay.'???

6. Gus thread starter macrumors 65816

Gus

I apologize

Sorry to be passé , but I was only trying to express my thoughts. I already knew there would be those who thought this thread would be done to death, but have you thought that if it's being done to death, that maybe that means a lot of people are agitated by it? Just a thought. Please just ignore the thread next time. Thank you.

Gus