Mac Idiot

Discussion in 'Games' started by dsnort, Jan 28, 2006.

1. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I got my first mac a couple of weeks ago, an iMac G5 20" intel, and i love it!:) :) Am having one prob that I hope i can get someone to help with. I've downloaded several of the free games, and all but one of them has opened as nothing more than a read me file. I know it must be something that I'm doing wrong, since the same thing has happened a half dozen times, but I'm too new, and possibly too dumb to figure it out. Could some kind soul please help this recent escapee from the Bill Gates express train to computational inadequacy!!:(

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

what games are you downloading and from where? this might help us figure out what the problem is.

3. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Does the readme file just a readme file or does it look like code?
    If it looks like code then you might not have the right program that opens it so its just opening in text edit. Also what is the file extension?

4. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

One of the games I tried to sownload was Doom 2,(love the pic by the way) from some site i can't remeber right now. Extension are usually .sit, sometimes .sit.hqx

5. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

And sometimes, now that you mention it, I get the message that there is no default program to open the file. I don't know what program i might need so i just trash them.

6. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

You need stuffit expander, search for it on versiontracker.com

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Stuffit will open *.sit files. Those are compressed files and common for the classic Mac environment.

Here is a link for a native Mac OSX version of Doom: Doom for Mac OSX

Edit: This program looks like a interface to kill system processes on your Mac with the Doom game. I am confused. Maybe you won't want to download this.

8. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

I searched on version tracker, can't find. Any more locales?

9. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Is there an OS X version of Doom 2? I only remember it for the old Mac OS. The new Intel Macs won't run "classic" software.

10. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Most likely Doom 2 is for Classic since the only programs ive seen in the .sit or .sitx format are classic mac games, which the new intel macs do not support.

11. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

Hey, I found it!! ( Google to the rescue!!) Works like a charm! Unfortunately the Doom game i had downloaded from mac.the-underdogs is not supported!!:eek: :mad: Oh well, back to the drawing board. Thanks for the help folks!

12. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm