.mac & iDisk Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iVersa, Aug 14, 2006.

1. iVersa macrumors 6502

Hey there.

I'm thinking of buying a .mac account. I have been testing the trial version of .mac and when up/downloading files to/from iDisk and it is incredibly slow.

I was just wondering wether this is the standard speed if your a member or not, or will it speed up considerably once I buy a full membership?

I think i'd only ever use my .mac for the iDisk, so if it isnt a lot quicker with full membership I dont think I'd be prepared to pay.

PS - my broadband connection is perfectly adequate so the slowness is not because of that.

Any answers would be much appreciate.

Thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Words like slow and adequate are meaningless. However, .mac will not be any less slow or your network any more adequate if you subscribe to .mac.

3. iVersa thread starter macrumors 6502

lol.

Well I have a 4mb broadband connection and it takes me about 1 minute to upload a 192kb jpg to the iDisk server.

Which is rediculous.

It also takes about 3-4 minutes to load all the (near empty) folders when first connecting to iDisk.

Which is also rediculous.

So this is what you get when you pay for a .mac account!?

Crazy.

Can anyone else verify that the trial memebership is not alot slower than full membership?

Thanks

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I can verify that the trial and full member upload speed to .mac is the same. I've used iDisk quite frequently and get much better transfer rates than you're quoting, however. When uploading my iweb site (180MBs) it can do it in a few minutes, which seems much faster than you're seeing.

I just copied a picture (260KB) to my iDisk, and it took less than 5 seconds.

5. iVersa thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks gauchogolfer, it seems that my transfer rate is indeed slower than a few other people I have spoken too. Odd

Thanks for the feedback

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Most of the iDisk performance problem comes from the Finder. It's much better when accessed via Panic Transmit.

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I agree that the finder can be a dog with iDisk, but to clarify, my times quoted above for the picture transfer were done via Finder, not a separate utility.

8. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

any chance that you were uploading during a .Mac system issue time.
    i love .Mac but will have to admit that it has down times more frequent than I would like.

9. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

I agree...

it's a nice service, but Í would like for it to be
    better uptime, it has way to much downtime (almost laugable)
    and faster... sometimes it seems like the .mac side is on dialup

but apart for other perpouses it's quite nice... (backup, mail, and some file storing)

10. iVersa thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies, I guess the slowness isn't just me.

Maybe I will take a look at this Panic Transmit, although I must admit the main reason Im interested in iDisk is because it works with os x so well and the finder icon is just handy - and comfortable.

I have my own webspace and ftp-ing isnt much of a problem, I just like then idea of iDisk - but Im liking it less and less the more I hear about it