Mac IIFX has been the best - till now

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by formax, Dec 15, 2004.

1. formax macrumors newbie

I have a 1992 mac IIFX running OS 7.1 that when booting up, goes directly to it's screen saver. When the mouse or the pressing of any key, a white rectangular box appears instead of the screen saver going away. If I continue to press keys an apple sign appears on each key that I press. When I press enter the rectangular box disapears.

Can someone help me.

Andre

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Have you tried restarting with extensions disabled (hold shift key while restarting)? Then you can remove the extension from your system folder and restart again. Or you can restart with extensions manager (I think this was available in 7.1) by holding the space bar. Then you can selectively disable extensions.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

WOW! A Mac IIfx, the first 32-bit clean Mac. You do know that you can upgrade it MacOS 7.6.1? At any rate, it sounds like maybe your computer is crashing to the debugger. If you see the following symbol in that white box: >, try typing G FINDER for go finder. Starting-up with the shift key depressed may hlep diagnose the problem. I would also suggest disabling the screensaver until your problem is fixed. Screensavers are entertaining; they provide a measure of security from prying eyes; but they don't save the screen.

4. formax thread starter macrumors newbie

IIFX Problem - got it

Thank you for your responses - We actually forced quit, them got rid of all srceen saver files and BINGO - job done - Thanks again - Andre

5. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Man, I wish I had a IIfx. Those things were da bomb when they came out.

I mean, 40Mhz '030 processor? That's drool inducing.

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I've got one... want it? I'll sell it to you for the original price (a mere $10,000!) :D

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

I remember how cool the IIfx was when it was new--I can remeber drooling over their raw speed and the awe-inspiring possibility of a single-pass color scanner and 17" monitor (at least, I think they had single-pass scanners in that era, though it was so long ago I might be mixing up my new-computer fantasies).

I got to work on one that was the control computer for a long-running power system recently, which was amusing by that time due to its age. More impressive still, it eventually died due to internal rust. Marine environments are BAD for computers!

Kinda nice, though, that the price point of even a top-of-the-line Mac has come down to within reach of most people. No way I could have afforded what a IIfx cost, then or now, but I can actually buy a beefy G5 if I really want.

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yep, they did have single-pass scanners. In fact, that was part of the set-up that my dad's graphic design company sprung for back when the IIfx first came out. They got that, a 21" radius monitor, a huge bulky Microtek scanner, and a "massive" 250MB external hard drive, for somewhere in the $20K range. All to be able to say they had a top-of-the-line rig. Then six months rolled around and that was that. :rolleyes: Times have really changed cost-wise...

9. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

and worth every penny ;).

For pretty much most of the 90s, I was stuck with an old Mac LC II running at 16Mhz. Whenever I saw a IIfx or a quadra, I would drool like you wouldn't believe.

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

You too huh?! I was also using an LCII, and I was in total awe when they got the IIfx at the office. I remember one time I accidentally hit the keys to rebuild the desktop file on the LCII, (I didn't know what the heck that was), and I got really scared because it ended up taking almost an hour and for all I knew it was erasing the hard drive, heheh. :eek: