.mac IMAP settings

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yarngrrl, May 11, 2005.

1. yarngrrl macrumors member

Apr 26, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I'm trying to move my email over from Thunderbird on my PC to my new iMac (love it, btw) and tried using Apple's suggestion of creating a .mac IMAP account in Thunderbird, then moving my messages there. Except, it's not working. It just hangs and doesn't connect (don't even get prompted for a password) Are there specific server settings I need to use in order to make this work? Will it work?

I'm currently using www.mac.com as the server...
  2. bodisaffa macrumors newbie

May 2, 2005
    the server settings on my .mac account are smtp.mac.com not www.mac.com hope this helps
  3. yarngrrl thread starter macrumors member

Apr 26, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Everything is off of my old PC, except for my email archives, which are still in Thunderbird. I tried migrating it the old fashioned way with import, but it turns out there is a known issue with Mozilla mailboxes and importing to other applications - they sometimes merge all your messages into one giant message. Not so good.

Soooooo, I'm open to other options, including the IMAP option. Except, my ISP doesn't do IMAP. I thought I would try using my .mac account, as Apple suggests, but I can't connect to the account using Thunderbird. I've changed my incoming mail server to smtp.mac.com, but to no avail.

Can I use anything other than Mail to connect to a .mac account? Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I'm eager to get my mail off and get rid of the PC once and for all.

4. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2005
    United Kingdom

I setup Thunderbird on my PC a few weeks ago and used my .mac account as a test for the application and didn't encounter any problems. The following information comes straight from the .mac mail help guide but contains all the information that you need, including the alternative port to use in the event that your ISP blocks access on port 25, like Belgacom does for me.

That should be enough for you to get things working but I don't recall having any problems establishing a connection with .mac.