Mac in BED! Wow are they HOT.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jon'sLightBulbs, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Using my powerbook in bed causes its fan to turn on within just a few minutes. The cooling system is just unable to cope with the heat retained by the matress or blanket.

Does anyone use an icurve or similar alternative? What kind of experience have you had? I'm interested in being able to use the PB in bed without the fan turning on at all.

Keep it cool...

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

the powerbook loves getting hot in bed :cool: i just put it on lowest power settings and sat it on a hard book so air can flow under it.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There is something called the iLap I believe. Check it out. It does not seem possible to use an icurve in bed.

4. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I haven't found a comfortable way to use my Powerbook in bed without the fan coming on.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Keep it clean there, buddy. This is a family program.

;)

6. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

7. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I must say my PB came in handy during winter. I just left it on my bed for a while to heat things up = no need for an electric blanket. :)

8. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

That is what i do also. Just grab a textbook from college, and i put a pillow on my lap, than the textbook on the pillow and the powerbook on the textbook..and it gets the jobs done... :)

i tried to use it just by the pillow (so no airflow), and although the fans didn't come on right away (maybe after 1/2-1hr of use), the thing did get pretty hot, i remember it touching my skin and i kinda yelled a lil.. n not in some freaky twisted weird BDSM way, but in a ouch.. way..lol

9. jer2eydevil88 macrumors regular

jer2eydevil88

You just need one of these

My powerbook was almost unusable on my lap until I remembered this thing was lying around.

http://roadtools.com/podium.html

I used to use it to prop up a projector but since that broke and I bought a powerbook it has since become my defacto laptop pad.

10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Perhaps future Macs will look even sexier. Specs of a new port come to mind. :eek:

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Somewhere in the User Guide, it does tell you that you should only use the Powerbook on a hard surface and not on anything like a mattress, cushion or blanket. Putting it on a hard surface helps it dissipate the heat - putting it on a soft one can mean that the airflow is completely disrupted and you might fry it.

If I'm using it in bed, I tend to get two hard back books and rest each side on one so that the middle of the 'Book' has air underneath. No fans ;)