.mac in the UK

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lenb, Aug 13, 2004.

1. lenb macrumors member

I thought I would give the .mac a go so signed up for a trial. Either I'm doing something wrong or it's no use over here in "blighty".
    I have not given the address to anyone and already I'm receiving junk, and on top of that it's directed to me as though I live in the U.S.
    Has anyone else in the U.K. had this and is it a waste of time for us? ....... I'm not impressed so far.

lenb

2. Gee macrumors 65816

I have a .mac account here in the UK. Seems fine - everything works as advertised, and haven't noticed it being particularly US-centric. Also I've never had any junk mail with it, even though I use the email all the time.

I do remember when I signed up for the trial it was a bit flakey, but I then paid for it (and you can select which country you're in) and it's been fine.

3. lenb thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps it's just to do with it being the trial version then!

lenb

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I have it as well....it's a lot less flakey than the ntl email address I have and I get a lot less spam from it.

5. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

i had a trial of .mac a while ago but i didn't get lots of spam, i found it anoying that all of the good features were only available in the full version, but then they want you to buy the full version so I gues it makes sense. Still a full trial would be nice.

6. billtanderson macrumors newbie

been signed up a while, it is occasionally slow, down or flakey, but on the whole I like the ease and integration of it with iLife etc. Its not cheap for what you get - more space please.

No problem being too US centric, and very little spam.

On the whole I like it :)

7. lenb thread starter macrumors member

Caveman uk

Don't mention ntl .......... they always seem to have some problem with email so that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

lenb

8. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

The .mac service is very very us centric. you'll see many more benefits on the .mac site for us customers.

I also suffer from alot of junk mail with .mac and with teh limited 15mb of e mail space its starting to look very long in the tooth for a paid service. It used to go down quite alot, but i havent noiticed it doing it for a while. Then again im not using the e mail service in the day much anymore. I find the idisk very useful, but with my new 4th gen 40gig ipod (a replacemnt for my 1st gen 10 gig)I can always use that instead of idisk for back ups and file transfers.

so all in all, im not sure if .mac is what it used to be. My membership is up soon, and I'm not sure i can justify the £70 price tag anymore. just my opinion based on my own usage, but for me 15mb of e mail storage and a 3mb limit on file transfers just doesnt cut it in the real world.

jason

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I find the .mac service to be fine and don't find it to be US centric at all. No spam problems either. It's not looking like such a great deal with the likes of Yahoo! and Hotmail all bumping up their mailboxes and the introduction of Gmail, however I expect a lot of improvements to be introduced in Paris. Tiger look like it's going to work closely with .mac too. Plus there is just something about a mac e-mail address! :p

But waiting till Paris to see if it's worth renewing my .mac account.

10. Lincoln macrumors regular

Lincoln

Better than ntl

I also have been using mac for a while. I have not received one junk email from it. My ntl account is another matter, every day I get junk mail and if I access it from a PC I get viruses (virri?) too.

I agree that the mail box size is starting to look a little bit small comapred to what other paid (and non paid) services are starting to offer. However the integration with a Mac is second-to-none.

11. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

What i meant about it being us centric is that you can get discounts off products, and services are alwyas available in america that arent elsewhere. example mac addict magazine can be bought at a reduced subscription rate if you are from teh usa. so if your telling me that its not us centric, i think your not looking at the offers page,eitehr that or the offers dont interest you. i suspect its the latter, and because they dont interest you thats why you dont think its us centric. then again i coudl be waffling about rubish because im tryign to avoid the fact my footy team just went 3-0 down to Aresnal!!

i agree about paris, thats exactly what im waiting for. i dont want to lose the integration with tiger, when it comes out, and i dont want to go through the hastle of having to inform everyone of the change to my e mail address. but i just cant live with 15mb of e mail space anymore. its alwyas filling up. i use the hard drive to store e mails, but its just a hastle and means i cant view my archived e mails from antoher machine. i realy hope they up the storage, and more importantly for me up the file size restriction when sending and receiving e mails

jay

12. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle