Mac Intel virtual desktops?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shrimpdesign, Jan 20, 2006.

1. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Does anyone know about a utility like Desktop Manager that's available in a Universal Binary? I use it daily, and am getting a new iMac.

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Well, ask the Desktop Manager maintainer if he/she is working on a UB.

3. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Not a whole lotta stuff is universal binary yet so don't be suprised if it won't be. I played with a new intel iMac and with rosetta and I must say the performance does take a hit but its not unbearable by any means. Think of it as a 33%-50% performance hit.

I am assuming that it CAN run with rosetta. It doesn't use Altivec or anything does it? :p

4. shrimpdesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Well, I know that some OS X x86 pirates compiled Desktop Manager in UB, but the link doesn't work anymore ... so it's out there somewhere ... I'm pretty sure that the author doesn't update Desktop Manager anymore, the newest release (0.5.2 or something) isn't even officially supposed to work with Tiger, but it does. There's some developer previews, but I'm sure those are old too.

I guess my best bet is You:Control Desktops ... I've always liked You Software, so I guess that'll give me an excuse to buy from them. I've emailed them asking if they plan on universal-izing their software

5. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

Desktop Manager is Open Source, so I've been trying to figure it out from the inside. Its complicated and messy, but so far I've seen nothing that would indicate it is incompatible for Intel Macs. I'll try to get a Universal Build together tonight and test it on my new iMac. If I get anywhere I'll try to get the working version back to the developer for an official build. There are a lot of features I simply do not understand, so I would try not to get my hopes up.:confused:

I haven't tried it under Rosetta yet; I'll do that tonight.

Has anyone else taken a look at the code and/or tried to rebuild it as a Univeral App?

6. shrimpdesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

I contacted You Software about You Control : Desktops, and they said their engineers were still evaluating weather to make UBs are not ...

As for Desktop Manager, it would be awesome to get that working, I'll try it on my Intel iMac as well under Rosetta, I'll also try the developer previews. I don't know anything about coding or compiling, so I'm no help there, sorry.

7. shrimpdesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

8. shrimpdesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

It works great, even with two displays. I actually found that link a while ago, but the server was down... if it goes down again, just ask me for it.

9. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

That's very good to hear. I didn't have much luck getting my code to run.

I'll check out the Intel build tonight. It looks like an Intel only version still. After looking closer at the source code I don't know anymore if there can be a truly Universal version. Maybe I'm wrong (again).

10. edrifkin macrumors member

The site is down. Can you help me?

11. shrimpdesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

12. ptaylor874 macrumors newbie

I'm having trouble with this... I have a Mac Mini and using the PPC version, I see the desktop names in the bottom right corner of each screen, and on each change I get the nice icon in the middle reminding me of which desktop I have just switched to.

Using this version on my 20" Intel iMac, I only get the desktop name in the bottom right corner of the main desktop (not the other desktops). I can switch from one to another using the hotkeys, but I'm unable to get any applications to move to the other desktops. I don't understand what's wrong..

Any ideas?

13. shrimpdesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

I always put apps in the dock to move them to other virtual desktops.

I just checked the bezel and pager and desktop names. Looks like they only work on the screen that you're at when you enable that feature.

14. edrifkin macrumors member

I tried this version. The problem is I cannot move window to next desktop. What happens is it only switches to next desktop without the application window. This means I always have to go to the particular desktop and open the windows. Does anyone know how to fix this??

15. shrimpdesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

You mean with the hot edges? i.e. when your mouse gets to the edge, it goes to the next screen.

I don't think that works, unfortunately.

As I said, the way I move application windows to another desktop is:

Minimize application window to the dock, and then switch to the desktop and expand it from the dock.

16. ptaylor874 macrumors newbie

I switched to You Control Desktops yesterday.. It's a PPC app, but everything seems to work fine on my Intel iMac.

Plus, I added myself to their mailing list somehow and within a few days they sent me an email with a link to buy it for $9.95, instead of the normal $29.95 price... I'm hoping they will come up with a Universal version at some point, but it's working very well now as a PPC app.

Paul

17. shrimpdesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

I actually emailed them about You Control: Desktops. They sent me some generic BS about the engineers still deciding if it was feasible to develop for the new Intel Macs. As if there's any question weather they should make it Universal or not.

But it's good to know that it works under Rosetta.