Mac Internet Sharing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dbonyad, Mar 29, 2006.

1. dbonyad macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2006

I have a Windows based wireless wifi 802.11g network with file, internet and printer sharing. The printer is connected to a Windows XP desktop, as is the wireless router.

Can a Mac (OS Tiger) join this network - to share the internet and the printer?

2. DeeJay Dan macrumors member

Feb 28, 2006
    New York
    Let me see if I understand this..

Since I see this thread twice let me see if I can break it down.

You have a cable modem plugged into a wireless router. Then you have your Windows box wired into the router, and you want your make to share your PC's printer?

First thing make sure you have file & print sharing turned on, and your mac is in the same workgroup (I don't know much about macs someone else can help you change the workgroup name). The default workgroup for windows is MSHOME.

Once you get the workgroup thing sorted out, you're going to have to have to move your macs IP address into the trusted zone with your firewall. Your router should automatically assign the mac an internal IP address (again someone else will have to tell you how to get the IP off your mac).

Then go through the steps to add a network printer in OSX.
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    A Windows-based wireless network? Your router is perfectly capable of mediating the network without the Windows computer. If your router has a print server, you can connect the printer to the router. Then you can print from any WiFi-enabled computer without having the Windows computer powered up.
  4. jkballer23 macrumors member

Mar 6, 2006