Mac is ejecting the CD during boot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Balloon Knot, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Balloon Knot macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new to this whole thing; but hopefully some of you smart Mac people can help me out with something. I have two B & W G3's one at 333mhz with 128MB of Ram and one at 400mhz with 1GB of RAM. Currently both machines have OX 10.2.8 installed - and nothing else (no OS 8 or 9) . I'm trying to get these machines upgraded to Tiger; but I believe I must upgrade the firmware first; so obviously I need to get a 9.2 version installed in order to do so. I have a genuine copy of OS 9 and when I put it in the CD tray and hold down C to boot - the system starts to read the drive; it flashes a couple times - then i get a gray screen and the MAC ejects my CD. This happens on both of my G3's - so I have a feeling it is not the CD player that is the problem. I'm not opposed to doing new installs, new partitions or anything else - i just need to know why my disk keeps ejecting. Thanks, B

2. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

I don't think you need to install OS 9 to update the firmware.
    I think....

3. Balloon Knot thread starter macrumors newbie

Everything I have read indicates that you can't be running OS X when trying to upgrade firmware from a Blue and White G3. I have downloaded some of them and when i mount the image; the OS X tries to launch the application in Classic mode (to which I mentioned earlier - I don't have installed)

4. projectle macrumors 6502

Allow me to play the devil's advocate, but have you tried installing Classic through OS X?

(This comes from someone who has only ever done it once and never used it ever.)

5. Balloon Knot thread starter macrumors newbie

By going through OS X do you mean putting the OS 9 CD in the drive and trying to install it that way? if so - when i click on the install OS 9 icon, i get a classic environment that tries to start and an error saying that there are no classic environments to start. Am I doing something wrong? how did you do it? keep in mind - Macs are kinda new to me as far as all this install and config goes. thanks, B

6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

You do NOT have to update the firmware for the Blue and Whites.

Mine are running the orginal firmware and running Tiger fine.

All the new firmware does is block out a G4 CPU from just dropping in and working.

7. Easy Rider macrumors member

1. Are you installing Tiger off of a DVD?
    2. Does your Mac support DVD disc's?

8. Balloon Knot thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i have the DVD version of Tiger. I've tried with both an external USB DVD drive and an external Firewire Drive to get the Tiger DVD to boot and neither of them work. The USB drive is one of those which is powered by the USB port (it does not have its own power supply) - but why the External Firewire drive does not boot; i don't know. When i'm in OS 10.2 and i put the DVD in the drive, everything seems fine. I double click the icon to start the install - the system says it will reboot and start and it reboots and just starts up 10.2 again. i've tried holding C, i've tried holding the "T" for target mode, i've tried the option key, absolutely nothing works.

9. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Try using your 10.2 install disc.
    Maybe it's the Tiger disc.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

have you tried changing the startup disk by opening "system preferences", then selecting "startup disk" and then selecting the DVD as the startup disk.....and then restarting? I've heard of people being able to get the computer to bootup from the dvd disk this way when nothing else seems to be working

11. comptech2002 macrumors newbie

Mac Ejecting Cd during boot

You dont need to update your firmware to the newest firmware on your blue and white G3. The only thing that this new firmware did was lockout a person from using cpu upgrade zif cpus. This firmware upgrade also sometimes would not allow certain types of memory to be used in the blue and white G3 only thing the new firmware upgrade really did.

1.) Have you tried the internal drive and boot off of it holding down the C key did you check to make sure it was a dvd drive and not just a regular cd drive. Is the drive jumper set to cableselect on the back of the drive?

2.) You cannot use external usb or firewire dvd drives to boot from. The blue and white G3s do not support this feature. Only the newer macs with newer firmware support booting external drives such as G4's, emacs etc... and its only firewire drives I think that can boot and not usb drives. Also the blue and white does not support target firewire disk mode.

3.) If none of the above works you might also try setting the internal cd drive to master on the jumper setting and see if that works. Also does the drive work in osx just to read a cd ? Just checking to make sure the internal drive is not broken.

4.) I was also thinking what install disc set is this is this an aftermarket apple osx tiger install dvd? or is this an upgrade dvd set for an emac or another type of mac. Some of the apple install sets are locked to that type of apple computer and will not work on certain other types of macs?

Chris