.Mac is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NeoMac, Sep 29, 2006.

1. NeoMac macrumors regular

Feb 10, 2006
    The CompuUSA by me is going out of business and they are selling off everything. Currently Apple software is 30% off. They have .mac for 30% so is it worth it? I am leaning towards buying it, but I was curious what others thought.
  2. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    If you have a lappy and a desktop, I think it is worth that alone.

The rest of the stuff is not worth it in my opinion.

I'll pay $8 a month for a spam bait e-mail account and to have my computers synced.
  3. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2004
    ct, us
    Yeah, if you have 2 or more Macs its worth the price alone. I also like the integration with the iApps too though. Makes like easy when you want to pop some pics online quick or something.
  4. Keebler macrumors 68030

Jun 20, 2005
    worth it imho. especially for that price.

us Canadians get screwed with another $30 or $40...the last time i saw, the exchange rate wasn't that bad.

b@stards! :)

it's great for the iapps though. clickety click, barbatrick and stuff is online.
  5. NeoMac thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 10, 2006
    Currently I have two computers. An iMac and an HP Media notebook. I use both on a regular basis. But I am planning on buying a mac note book in the very near future. I should be able to take advantage of iDisk with my HP right?
  6. NeoMac thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 10, 2006
    I never thought about it that way. $8 bucks is a latte at starbucks now a days. :rolleyes:
  7. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    Worth it? Depends on usage.
    I use the heck out of it so yes.
    Regarding price, you can get a single .Mac on FleaBay for $30-$40 pretty consistantly.
  8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Me thinks the @mac.com email address alone is worth the $ 100!! :D

But seriously, I do use lots of the services.
    - Mail (as mentioned)
    - Backup
    - Sync
    - Webspace
    - And the fact that it makes it all so easy! Also an iTMS account, iChat account, etc.

The "all-in-one", one-click setup, and simple use of it all makes it very worth while.
  9. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2006
    i agree with @mac.com email thing
    the backup software i have found to be pretty impressive and easy itegration is fast with the ilife apps
    if you just got a mac then you can $30 off of it or tallk to someone you know in school because their pricing is about $65
  10. arcoiris macrumors newbie

Sep 29, 2006
    Los Angeles
    iDisk Public folder

If you work in a collaborative environment or with multiple clients, the .mac account is worth it for the Public folder on the iDisk alone! Anyone, with any OS, can access this iDisk in some capacity, so it is an amazing tool.
  11. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    So... I haven't really gotten a straight answer on this. I'm aware that I apparently have no reading comprehension, but I'm not quite sure how .Mac's accounts work.

Let's say that I have a MacBook, my wife has a MacBook, there's an old Sawtooth sitting in the corner, and we have a Mac mini in the living room.

My wife works a standard 40-hour work week, goes to grad school, and is following a fairly strict little exercise regimen. I'm taking 23 undergrad credit hours, writing a novel, and attempting to get back into the hang of practicing Tae Kwon Do and yoga on a regular basis. Both of us are keeping to-do lists of various things -- bills, birthdays, and all of that stuff.

So my wife has calendars in iCal, I have calendars in iCal, and some of these calendars are shared between us. Ditto for Safari bookmarks, photo albums, DEVONthink databases, blog entries (?), and all that stuff. She has a computer, I have a computer, and we share two others. Each of us has four user accounts, one on each of the Macs.

So would one account manage all that okay? Or would we need the Family Pack?

I really like .Mac in theory (although I've never tried it), and I'm thinking about throwing down the money for it. I just want to make sure that I'm getting the right thing.

(And yeah, I know I could do this all on the Power Mac sitting in the corner. I'm happy to pay for something external, Apple-ish, and largely reliable -- none of which are terms that describe my somewhat "Gonzo" style of server administration. "Hey, let's get drunk and play 'rm -rf roulette'!").
  12. highres macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2005
    Near the Singularity
    At $99 it's way overpriced in my opinion, .Mac is a decent option for beginner web and blog builders but that's about it.

You can achieve everything that .Mac offers with a good webhost and a set of basic standard Apple apps like iWeb or iLife. You can publish your web or blog files to your desktop and then simply upload them to your webhost via FTP. Just my .02 cents.
  13. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

Aug 5, 2005
    just about worth it. there is always a discount on .mac if you shop around.

as mentioned above, fleaBay usually has cheap deals. I got my first fix from fleaBay and did not need the postage as I mailed the seller to open the box and mail me the activation code.

Just got my latest fix from Apple Store London - with 25% off!
  14. eluk macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2006
    East London, UK
    I'd agree with most that it is on the pricey side. However it is convenient and I will probably renew it.
  15. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    They offer a free trail. Try it for awhile, see if you like it. I use it, but sometimes wonder if it's worth it. I'm hoping Apple is working on it.
  16. eluk macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2006
    East London, UK
    It's a 60 day trial, but be prepared to get nagged everytime you log on. :mad:
  17. Antares macrumors 68000

.Mac used to be a free service. I've had it since Apple launched it (what, 7/8 years ago now?). Honestly, I can't say that it was very pleasant going from free to $100. But I just couldn't loose that "@mac.com" e-mail account. Yes, I feel that it is a bit overpriced....I only lightly use the idisk and none of the sync or webpage features. When you think about it, though, $8.25 a month is not that bad for everything that you're getting....
  18. FDX macrumors regular

Dec 2, 2006
    I like it for the @mac.com.. Always get it on ebay for a reduced rate.. Over all it is pretty good