Mac is not for games

Discussion in 'Games' started by 9hundred, May 13, 2003.

1. 9hundred macrumors member

I like the Mac and I want to switch but, the mac does not yet beat the PC for playing games because....

1. There is no EAX mutisound

2. Most games are for PC first and just maybe second for Mac

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

3. shakespeare macrumors 6502

I don't play many games myself, but you are right that Macs aren't cut out for them. There are people here who will point out to you that PCs aren't either, and that only dedicated consoles are the way to go. Someone - pardon me, I've forgotten who - said something like this, recently: A PC user saying that his computer is better than mine because it can play more games is like a guy saying his shovel is better than mine because it can drive more nails. :D

So get a Mac - they're better for everything else - and get a console, which is better for gaming.

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-shakespeare

That was me! That was me!

And I was about to say the same damn thing, until I saw your post.

Dammit! Stole my thunder. :D

This was a part of the "the worst question a pc user has aksed you" thread.

5. phgreer macrumors regular

phgreer

but it's ironic that Macs are so behind in games right now seeing that Macs are know for multimedia editing.

On the surface games seem kind of frivlous but that is where technology is pushed and tested and new ideas are born.

If they want OSX to be such a power house the need to get serious about gaming. Sounds ironic I know but it's like Auto manufactures getting serious about developing a car sutible for racing.

6. shakespeare macrumors 6502

Haha, sorry man, I wanted to give you credit (especially because I thought it was hilarious), but I just couldn't remember who had said it or where! :)

If you want, I'll edit it out of my other post so you can post it in its full glory here ;) :D

7. Kid Red macrumors 65816

8. JustinChaloner macrumors newbie

I think the mac is getting better and better as a gaming platform. Okay, Mac games aren't exactly a multi-zillion dollar industry, but if it continues to improve its market share, gaming companies will take notice, see the $$$s and churn out more titles. Well.....that's what I think anyway.

My gripe with the Mac is that the hardware is too lame. I've got a 2year old iMac and it barely plays any current mac titles - the poor thing grunts and groans before giving up. My brother got a PC not long after me and his is happily running all the latest stuff. The graphics card is a pile of poo! If only Apple kept up with the PC world on this issue I think things would be better.

This is my first post, people, so be nice to me!:)

9. alset macrumors 65816

alset

That's just life in computers. 2 years old is ancient. I think PCs probably fall just as far behind or farther in that time.

Still, I have an old 500 MHZ Graphite that can hold it's own with large 3d games like Black and White. Not to mention that my iBook (800 MHZ, but it's a G3) can handle Doom and Medal of Honor.

Dan

edit: ps, welcome to the forums

10. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

peecees are not for gaming.

my favorite game - deimos rising - has never been released for peecees. period. ;) :p

11. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

The underrated platform

Try telling a Mac or PC user playing Unreal Tournament 2003 that their computers are not for games.

While consoles are great at what they do, some types of games are better suited to desktop computers (FPS, real-time strategy, sim-life, etc). A lot of games designers are also attracted to computers because their architecture is not set in stone like console architecture is.

The idea that there is no point gaming on a Mac because the Windows platform has more releases, technology, etc is lost on me. Most games on Windows are cheap clones of what came before and the ones that are AAA quality get ported to the Mac eventually. I cannot speak for everyone but the situation for me is that there are many good Mac games but no time (or money) to play them all.

Anyway, to each his own, but when a Mac comes with the same graphics card found in PCs nobody can say that machine would not be great for games.

12. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Sol's got a point. I've been playing the UT2K3 demo for a few days now and the experience would be different on a console. I do have both an xbox and a PS2, and the FPS on them do come close, halo, red faction 2 and metal of honor especially. However, I've really only liked about 3 games on my Mac, the rest I have to say are better on a console.

13. DeusOmnis macrumors 6502

As far as the released later issue, Ive been playing the Warcraft 3 Expansion Beta for a while now. I doubt the expansion would be released for PC before mac ;) Wasnt it Quake 3 that was released on mac before PC or something like that? And there was concern about Halo not being made for PC? Yeah, not all the games come to mac, like "pokemon's adventures in spain", but all the good ones do =)

14. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Blizzard has always been noted to release Mac/Pc versions of their software on the same disc. So with the frozen throne expansion in mind, PC and Mac versions will be released on the same disc as well. It's a matter of economics unfortunately that many game makers release games solely for the PC or PC first then Mac for obvious reasons.

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

The top 10 games were all mac compatible as of last years top sellers list.

In case you are wounder 14/15 of the top sellers were mac compatible...

since you don't mention a game specifically, we can't respond as well as we could have.

We got UT2K3, yes it was a while in the making, but it doesn't crash, and runs fine...

16. King Cobra macrumors 603

The Mac will always be a dominant advanced graphics/audio machine.

The PC will always be a dominant gaming machine.

Your best bet is to not rely on the Mac having super fast gaming graphics compared to a PC released at about the same time as the Mac. There simply isn't enough bus speed and graphics acceleration for the Mac to keep up with the highest demand of games.

PCs hold a high amound of RAM and ridiculous bus speeds (some are 800MHz effective). But so many companies support the PC so they get the benefits of availability.

Expect the competition of gaming to become a little tighter when availability for fast Mac bus speeds are present and when more companies are willing to spend time working for the Mac.

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

until apple gets direct x we will never have much games. and we will never have direct x because microsoft owns direct x. mrmacman is partially right in my opinion. we do get the top games, but if you look at the top games for last year almost half of them are the sims an their expansion packs. which equal out to be one game. the creative eax techonology doesnt bother me as much as it use to. i cant tel the difference and creatives software sucks a**. its just the plain lack of games and high performance video cards for the mac. but i really dont care that apple does get a choice of very many video cards, because macs arent made for games so it really doesnt matter. on my desktop i have battlefield 1942, planet side, americas army, postal 2, and raven shield, vice city, and gta3. none of these are for macs. then with my new list of games from e3 puts the mac in the gaming perpective to shame. with the new metal gear coming out (this will come out for consoles so its no biggie), new ninja turtles game, new prince of persia, theif 3, deus ex 2, and a much longer list that you can get from ign. its just pitiful our selection of games, until this problem is solved there will be a pc by my desk always.

iJon

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

"its just pitiful our selection of games, until this problem is solved there will be a pc by my desk always."

as long as blizzard keeps doing simultaneous releases the mac will continue to be the only gaming machine I need. :)

19. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

It is all a matter of priorities. I want a computer that works more often than not, doesn't require alot of time fixing problems when they do arise, and it generally fun to use. Then I want to play games second. I have a PC for gaming, but I have only used it to play a few games since I got my Mac. In the last 6 months since I got my Mac I have spent more time fixing my PC than I have spent using it. (In all fairness my family uses it, but I won't touch it anymore. I got a bigger desk so I can use my TiBook while my wife uses the PC. :))

20. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Uhmm..the Mac video card market certainly has gotten better over recent years despite the fact that no one other than Nvidia and ATI manufacturer video cards for the Macintosh Platform. It is unfortunate no third party developers such as Vertigo or BFG are permitted to do so. Perhaps then we'd see price comparisons between Mac video cards and PC video cards level off. Remember, not too long ago, the only video card packaged with Apple computers were the muscle lacking Rage Pro's and their paltry 16mb of VRAM. Certainly I do not think it is a lack of high powered video cards that prevent many games from being ported or developed for the Macintosh in conjunction with their PC counterparts. While the Radeon 9700 has certainly took its time getting into Apple computers, the divide between PC and Mac, in terms of gaming, has certainly narrowed. Certainly one thing is for sure, when companies port a game over to the Mac, they make damn sure they've done their homework and assessed the feasibility of doing so. Therefore insuring Mac owners that the games they receive are of "quality" not "quantity". Crack open a mag of PC gaming and you'll find one starred dud games up the wazoo.

21. mstecker macrumors 6502

Come on, the only two video card manufacturers that matter one bit are Nvidia and ATI. I can't even think of another video card manufacturer, other than those that simply repackage Nvidia and ATI gpus onto their own cards. If anything, someone should send apple a cake for managing to keep both major manufacturers of graphics hardware in the tent despite their small market share.

22. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well basically all i was saying is that the best nvidia card we can buy is the 4600, and costs 400 dollars, can you say major rip off. i dont think ati have sold the 9700's individually yet.

iJon

23. mstecker macrumors 6502

It really bothers me when people talk about how much of a "rip off" it is that video cards cost more for the "same" hardware on the Apple platform. Although you are buying the same hardware as you would for a PC, remember that you require specialized and vastly different driver software. The cost to manufacture and sell you the card depends on the cost of the hardware AND its associated driver software. For mac applications, the cost of the software is subsidized by far fewer units than on the PC. That's why it costs more.

Unfortunately, most people think the driver is "free" (as in beer) becuase they can download it from the card maker's web site, while the card is the thing that costs money becuase, well, you'll get in trouble for walking out of the store without paying for one.

Yes, you can maybe get around this by buying a "PC" labeled card and finding a way to flash it. If you do this, however, you remove all incentive for the card manufacturers to develop mac drivers.

Would it make you feel better if they sold the cards at a lower price, but then forced you to buy and register the driver software separately?

Please remember that no one is making a killing selling Mac video cards. The manufacturers support it becuase they like the platform, just like us.

24. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Reason being the Geforce4Ti 4600 is so steep is it has no other 3rd party manufactered equivalent to compete with. This is not a fault with Apple, but with Nvidia. As for ATI dragging its ass, typical but they're certainly getting better in delivering Mac video cards, albeit a little late. If you want something higher than the Geforce4 Ti 4600, such as the new GeforceFX, I suggest you read some of its dismal reviews on its comparison with the 9700 and 9800. As well if you don't mind having a second PCI slot taken up by that monstrosity they call a "fan", by all means purchase it when it is released for the Macintosh. Most games nowadays do not really even challenge today's games, with maybe the exception of a few, counting the impending D3. If you look around, the only two fighters left standing in the video card market are ATI and Nvidia. The others such as Voodoo have been gobbled up.

25. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

why does it bother you, its the truth. well actually it bothers me too when my friends have to shell out more cash for a card that can be bought on the pc market for much less. nvidia should lower the cost because they dont even make the drivers, apple does. linux users can use the new cards for the pc price and nvidia makes their drivers for them, and there are less linux boxes out there than macs.

iJon