Mac isn't for "G4M35"

Discussion in 'Games' started by p:ro, Feb 13, 2006.

1. p:ro macrumors member

I do think it's funny, how some people in this forum are blind to facts. I post this - not to show how "bad" Mac is - but to show where it is strong and what it is made for!

lil Quote Dec.2005 www.barefeats.com

...But I think it's safe to say that the Windows PCs maintain an advantage in 3D gaming, even though the newest Power Macs have at least one 16 lane PCI Express slot for the graphics card.

http://www.barefeats.com/mvdcpc.html

A PowerMac G5 is an awesome machine for professional work - but it's for sure not made for gaming - and that is good! So Stop those MacGaming discussions, which are either not rational, logical, factless or not realistic at all.

Making a Quad into a first priority GameMachine is the most pathetic thing people could do. PowerMac G5 are made for designer, photographers, architects,etc. etc. People who need to render, cut movies, etc. etc. BUT for sure not running only WorldOfWarcraft or DOOM III on it. This got nothing to do with running games on a mac - that's cool. BUT be realistic about facts!

Hopefully Apple doesn't try to move into wrong markets!

Hope for Nice Discussions - O.0 | =.= | p:ro

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Meh, couldn't care less about games.

Just want to make sure my next Mac (a fully maxed out MacBook Pro in about 2 years) will be able to handle my massive word processing, email, iTunes, Safari requirements.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Agree with you completely. So what if the mac's greatest strengths are not gaming, With so many alternatives out there it gets tiresome hearing the same rhetoric over and over again..

All my work is done on my mac, all my gaming is done on my game-machines. It's ridiculous to expect Apple to focus development onto gaming when only a small portion of the mac community (who in turn make up a smaller portion of the PC market) on a small sideline. Apple knows where they are strongest and makes the best computers for that job, and that's great.

It would take a whole reshuffling of it's position and marketplace to even begin producing a games platform. Not only hardware wise but software wise too.

The gaming industry is fickle enough as it is with publishers showing profit one year and huge losses the next, leading to bankruptcy and development closures.... The market is already saturated with 'gaming' devices that it's preposterous to expect apple to suddenly follow suit...

The mac is a work tool, it was designed as a work tool... Yes you can put up with poorly ported p.c. titles and a slim choice of games, but to me that's ok as it was not what I bought my mac for or what it was intended for....

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I think it had been 6 months since the last time i saw 1337. I hate you now for bringing that crap up.

5. p:ro thread starter macrumors member

I finally found soulmate"S" in that forum - :eek:

the "G4M35" was only to adress the RealMacProGamers out there... it's not my style - sarcasm for president.

6. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

"Mac isn't for "G4M35"

True that. Double true.

I don't think we care. Or, we are satisfied with the game performance currently provided by Macs.

7. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Is someone saying that Macs aren't the #1 choice for h4rdc0re l33t gamerz?? Surely not...the shock of the century! Tell me it's not true!

Um, why even bother with this topic?

--Eric

8. mkaake macrumors 65816

flamebait?

9. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

I agree with people saying that macs are not meant for games. I think that consoles are the way to go to play games since consoles are less expensive to buy and maintain and they are always able (as long as you are on current gen hardware) to play the latest games just fine.

That said, if the mac was a serious gaming platform it would probably be better for all of us. That's because gaming has an interesting side effect: it fuels the 3d cards business.

If mac gaming was on par with pc gaming we would probably have:
    1)More models of 3d cards available to buy as an upgrade
    2)Cheaper 3d cards
    3)Better drivers
    4)Mac versions of the cards released at the same time as their pc counterparts

10. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

I agree

I can run circles around my PC buds when designing in Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark or any other design based app. The Mac was designed for creativity not games. I like games and yes it is maddeneing that Macs don't receive good marks for gaming but I do not make money playing games. My bitch is when I do find a MOD (Infiltration) for UTGOTY edition and try to play, I can't because of mis-match files. In the end I just accept that fact and un-install. The more I see how PCs are used and how to use a PC (that is a joke) the more I appreciate the Mac for what it is.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

12. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I bought a mac for things other than games. It has some games on it. Ok. I enjoy WC3 on occasion. Not why I bought it.

I dislike the substitutive writing. A lot. Please stop it.

That is an awesome image.

13. Lastinline39 macrumors newbie

He didn't say that the mac isn't for gamers. He said that the mac isn't for games. I'm a devoted mac user, I will never own a PC, but the mac is not the premier platform for gaming. Just because you have every console with every game (exaggeration) doesn't make the mac any better at gaming. Also, it's true that simply maxing out your pc to play the mainstream games doesn't make you a hardcore gamer perse, but missing the ability to play a lot of the mainstream games (Halflife 1 + 2, Guild Wars, even the GTAs, etc.) or having to wait till they are ported (BF2, COD2, etc.) really does hinder you. I love freeware and shareware games too, but how often do they rise to the caliber of the Escape Velocity series. And how often are you going to have a netfungus LAN party.

14. risc macrumors 68030

risc

If you think Macs suck for games try using Linux. ;) I came to OS X after using Linux as my primary OS since the mid 90s and I have to say going from 3 native games to a couple of hundred was a huge jump. Does OS X have as many games as Windows? No and who really cares? PC gamers have PCs to game on, let us just agree that OS X is the best platform for gaming if you like UNIX like OSes.

This thread is so pointless and I'm glad to see the OP get banned, his trolling was getting annoying.

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

i didn't buy my mac for games anyway so it doesn't bother me none.

Bless

16. nihilisticmonk macrumors 6502

nihilisticmonk

<yawn>

True, the Macintosh isn't for games, but one can also argue in todays software market that the PC is hardly the "premier" brand for gaming anymore.

You can count the serious A+ class PC Exclusive games of 2005 on one Hand, nearly all games now are focused on Console releases to grab the lions share of profit and then ported to the PC as an afterthought....

Don't belive me?

Splinter cell
    Brothers In Arms
    Need for Speed Underground 2
    Call of Duty 2
    Halo 2

but what about hot new games?

hmmm like Prey (xbox 360)
    or maybe the just come out on demo timeshift (also coming for xbox 360).

The time of the PC's dominance is over.....£350 for a graphics card that lasts you 6 months of high end compaired to an Xbox 360 and a HDTV that'll last you 5 years? Ciao PC World.

I come from a PC Gaming back culture, and I can tell you a lot of people are switching to Macs and ditching expensive gaming rigs due to high prices, virus problems, hardware problems and the dropping price of <some> Mac hardware.

17. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

He was banned? How can you tell?

18. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Take a look under his username – there's a subtle clue there. ;)

19. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

This thread is sooo pointless. What's wrong with playing games on a mac? I'm a graphic designer + I like gaming, but I don't want to spend any hard earned cash for a system thats sole purpose is gaming. That is why I have been playing on my macs for the past 5 years, and I have always found something that entertained me.

"Looks at shelf" Oni, Alice, Diablo 2, Fallout 1 & 2, No one lives for ever, Heavy Metal Fakk 2, C&C Generals, Age of Mythology, Battlefield 1942, Homeworld 2, Dungeon Siege, Neverwinter Nights, Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft.

True, all titles except the blizzard ones come out way later for OSX than for windows. Most of the time I don't care since I hardly ever wait for a specific title to be released, I just play something until it is no more fun and then look what is available. If I would just play games with my system and do nothing else I'd get a pc or a console, but like I said that is not the case. I think everybody has a different oppinon on the topic but we figured this out in countless previous threads.

20. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

I still enjoy playing Mutant Storm on my Powerbook with a 360 controller...

And there's Starcraft... probably the only game I enjoy that wouldn't be more fun on a console.

Once the Nintendo Revolution comes out and pwns FPSes I think it's gonna be more like computer gaming what?:cool:

21. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

I love starcraft, I just wish they'd increase the resolution up from 640x480 :mad:

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

How often? not much. That said I haven't played a really worthy game for a very long time. as much as I loved Metroid Prime and Windwaker there were moments that I had to force myself to play. The only game I think I've ever played which I find a complete joy to play, and an actual human NEED to find out more of the story is Cave Story. I keep praising this game, but if it was a toss up between my Xbox or Cave Story then I fear for my box. Kirby DS gave a similar feel but fell somewhere along the lines. As soon as a commercial developer comes along and brings us a game that is nothing but unadulterated gameplay then I'll baz along on the few gems I have.
    Eternal Daughter (PC) is another one. Extreme gameplay in a style that nobody does anymore. It's just that, like commercial games, about 99.9% of them games are bad.

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Yeah, when I got my Dell 20.1" LCD I figured that it would stink for playing Myth II Soulblighter...imagine my surprize when 1680x1050 came up as a supported resolution! :eek: :D Not bad for a game that's over 6 years old.

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

True I find myself struggling to finish games nowadays. Don't know whether it's my age or what, but as a kid I would play most games to a climax. The last generation very few...

Out of the three main consoles at the moment, only finished 6 games (out of a couple of hundred :eek: )

25. IanC macrumors regular

meh. my eMac plays the couple of games i have fine.