mac keeps shutting down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by graceann, Mar 10, 2007.

1. graceann macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I own a mac I book that I love but really don't deserve.
    It kept shutting down on me mysteriously and when I took it to the shop he told me to just update the ram drive.
    I have since done that but it still keeps shutting down. I thought that maybe it was a virus so I went to the AVAST website and tried to down load something that would scan my computer for viruses. I couldnt figure out how to do it. I think I'm also inhibited by the fact that I don't understand this machine, so trying to fix it is a killer for me. Any help or tips would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Graceann

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

What kind of Mac is it?

How old is it?

Do you have Applecare?

What are you doing at the time when it shuts down?

Edit- sorry, missed where you said it's an iBook. The chances of it being a virus are slim to none. But it could be a lot of things (hardware things). If you have Applecare, take it in asap.

3. graceann thread starter macrumors newbie

MAC keeps shutting down without warning

Hello,
    Hi I own a Mac OS X version 10.4.6
    A whie a go it started to just shut off with no warning.
    When I took it to the store the man there told me I would just need to update the ram drive.
    I have since done this and was fine for a while but now it's shutting down again.
    It's only been about two weeks since the update. I'd go back to where I bought it but I'm now residing in Guadalajara.
    Maybe it's a virus I wouldn't know. I don't really deserve such a comlex machine that I don't understand but I 'm going to try and make amends with it. I went to the AVAST website because I heard they were awesome and I saw something there that I could down load and have scan my computer for some of the known viruses. I couldn't figure it out. My lask of confiece in my computer skills seriously impeded whatever progress I could be making.
    If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it so much.
    I don't feel like I should make move until I communicate with an official mac whiz.
    Thanks,
    Gracaenn

4. graceann thread starter macrumors newbie