Mac Keyboard and Mouse

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cujoca, Nov 3, 2006.

1. cujoca macrumors regular

I'm seriously thinking about buying the new iMac...but I have one small question about the keyboard and mouse. Is the wired keyboard and mouse long enough if my iMac sits on my desk and i have one of those keyboard trays that slides out, will the keyboard and mouse have enough length that they can go behind the desk and onto the sliding keyboard tray.

Thanks

2. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

If I recall correctly, the keyboard comes with an extender which would allow plenty of cord to place the keyboard into the tray. The mouse will plug into the keyboard, so that will be no problem.

(If not, an off-the-shelf USB Extension cable will work just fine.)

3. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

The standalone wired keyboard box comes with the extender, I just bought one today. I don't know if it comes with the iMac though, I would imagine so.

4. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

It didn't come with one in my 17" Core Duo.. and it isn't long enough for my tray so I have to put the cable round the front. :(

5. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Another option is to spend the $60 to get the wireless keyboard/mouse. That will clear up one more USB port and it means a cleaner look for the iMac.

The iMac only comes with 3 of them and I personally ended up having to use all 3, so that $60 (or so I think. I got the edu discount) I spent was wall worth it.

6. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

If i was to get the wireless keyboard and mouse...about how long will the battery for in general?I dont want to be replacing the batteries every couple of weeks!

7. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Mouse takes 2 AA Batteries, Keyboard takes 4 AA batteries

Battery life depends on how often you use your equipment. Your computer will switch the mouse an keyboard to low power mode when not in use. I have used my Apple wireless keyboard/mighty mouse combo for over a month without a low battery indicator so far.

On my old PC, I had a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse. It had about 4-6 months of use before I had to change the batteries over.

Maybe some other Apple wireless keyboard/mouse users can input on the wireless battery life for normal use.

8. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

My Mac Pro is on 24/7 and I don't switch off the keyboard/mouse ever, it's been months since i last replaced the batteries :)

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

No, the iMacs don't come with keyboard extension cable, which is kind of stupid if you ask me. If you have the money, spring for the wireless keyboard as long as you've got another USB keyboard (Windows keyboard is fine) around. There are certain troubleshooting things that kind of require a wired keyboard.

10. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Here is my battery life after 6 weeks of moderate/heavy use (I am a college student):

[​IMG]

11. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

What sort of certain troubleshooting things require a wired keyboard?

12. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I don't think any of the bootup key combos work on a wireless keyboard. So for example, you need a wired keyboard to zap the PRAM, boot in single-user mode, and boot in FireWire Target Disk Mode. Those aren't things that you have to do in general use, but if there's a problem they can be very useful.

13. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

the keyboard and mouse cable are sooo short! get a wireless one

14. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

the wired kb that came with my imac does not come with the extended cable; only the standalone kb comes with it.

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Just to mention it because I haven't read it anywhere else, the BT keyboard and mouse that come with the iMac (24" at least) come with Energizer2 (squared) batteries. The 4 for the keyboard are titaniums (orange) and the 2 for the mouse are lithium (blue) so they should last quite a while (months) before needing to be changed. After they die, just buy a good rechargeable set (like the 15 minute quick charge). I have to give it to Apple, no other company has ever given me a set of great batteries, they're usually some knock-off japanese brand that only last a few weeks.

16. ironjaw macrumors 6502

just out of curiousity - why 24/7? :D

17. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

It appears you have at least two choices:

-- getting an extender cable for the keyboard for anywhere from $5-$30 depending on where you go and the quality of the cable. Your existing mouse will plug into the keyboard, still taking only one USB port on your iMac.

-or-

-- getting the bluetooth keyboard and mouse for $59 and $69 each, respectively, as the regular mouse won't plug into the bluetooth keyboard.

18. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Just to clarify, for regular users with an iMac purchase, it's a $60 upgrade to the wireless keyboard/mouse. Joker2 quoted you the prices if they were purchased separately w/o a computer purchase.

If you qualify for the edu discount, its 10% off or $54 to upgrade.

19. todd2000 macrumors 68000

The iMac does not come with an Extension Cable, which is stupid, the cord is only 34" I just measured. That is way to short for use with Keyboard trays. My old PowerMac G4 that cost the same as the iMac ($1299) came with an etension cable, so I just used that one. It seems that Apple (at least the online store) doesn't even seel extension cables anymore. Not that you can't get it elsewheer, but you would think Apple would sell them. Anyway I would say just get your-self an extension cable, I don't really see the point of Wireless Keyboards/Mice. Wires are not that annoying, especially for keyboard that just sit there.

20. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Just bought an iMac, and got the wireless mouse + keyboard. They work great, no problems syncing with the computer in the beginning or anything like that. Well worth the $54 (EDU pricing).

The right clicking is waaaay better on the BT MM than the wired MM.

21. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

I know it's great. Plus like I mentioned before, you save a USB port by going wireless.

My printer and iPod took up two of them, followed by the third after the USB extension cable arrived from Newegg. Worked perfectly.