Mac Keyboard technical question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dan Shaffer, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Dan Shaffer macrumors newbie

Kind of a technical question here, but am I understanding it right that any usb "windows" keyboard will work with a Mac? No special configuration or anything is required for the scan codes, virtual codes, etc. ? I assume mac uses scan set 1

The reason I ask is because I do design work for a company that makes IBM Model M buckling spring keyboards. Was doing a rev on the USB code, and figured would try and get a feel to make them as Mac friendly as possible.

Any infomation appreciated

Dan
    dshaffer@pckeyboard.com

2. diddy macrumors 6502

They all should work. That's why Steve can tell people to 'bring their own.'

And oh boy, If I didn't use my volume keys everyday, I would LOVE to have a USB Model M. CLACK! CLICKETY-CLACK! so sweet.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Any keyboard works, BUT, sometimes the Windows key and Control key are swapped on the Mac platform. Or it could be the Command key. I'm not sure... or it may be different per keyboard.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm...I wonder, is the Fn- key automatically mapped somewhere on PC keyboards on a mac?

Anyway, I hope you get more help. It's great that you're trying to make your keyboard more mac-friendly, and those buckling spring keyboards are very nice. :)

5. rccola70 macrumors regular

I think most PC keyboards now have the Fn key too..

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Well PeeCee Laptop keyboards have the Fn key. I don't think that most desktop PeeCee keyboards have this key though.

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There are some compact desktop PC keyboards with Fn keys (Sony love these for some reason), but they are unusual. Standard desktop Mac keyboards don't have Fn anyway, so it's not a real problem.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So, actually, now I feel kinda dumb, but... :D

On a desktop Mac -- I haven't used them much -- how do you raise and lower volume? Can you do it from the keyboard? And if the F3-F5 keys do it like on the laptops, how do you use the functions F3-F5?

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The Mac desktop keyboards from the past few years have dedicated volume up/down, mute and eject keys. These are in a row above the numeric pad, in the spot that PC keyboards traditionally leave blank (or the num lock etc. LEDs would appear).

On non-Apple keyboards, F12 doubles as eject if you hold it down for a second, but you're often stuck using the mouse to deal with speaker controls :(

Some PC keyboards (e.g. Logitech) do have tons of extra buttons along the top or perimeter, and sound control gets mapped onto those.

10. Dan Shaffer thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thanks for the all the info guys. As long as the scan codes are the same, posistion of the keys is easy to change. We already have to swap the Control and cap lock for the linux guys anyways. And for some reason they want the (tilde) up where escape is. /shrug then the dreaded left handed-Dvorak-linux layout haha

As for the FN key on laptops, when they are on regular PC keyboards its called a "Flash" key. Same concept. Acts as a type of shift key

Dan

11. mavherzog macrumors 6502

Dan,

Do you guys make a current gen "Model M Mini" (the 84-key, numpad-less Model M spacesaver model...with buckling springs, of course)? If you do, I'll start handing over entire paychecks to pckeyboard.com . :)