Mac Killers

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by awulf, Apr 9, 2002.

1. awulf macrumors 6502

I have found an evil site devoted on bad mouthing macs

www.mackillers.8m.com

and we as loyal mac users should argue with the author against the articles and other media, which are against our platform.

Or maybe we should just ignore it? :confused:

2. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Ha!

Considering this was last updated in '99, I don't think its all that relevant.

Breaking news...iMac now comes in Gray, 15" screen and with DVD player.

That site is going places. Most hate sites do...

Matthew

3. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

I agree, just continue to ignore it. If it began to get complaint e-mails it would probably just start back up again.

It is better just to leave it dead.

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Holy crap that's really sad. :D Neglected web sites always make me want to shake the crap out of the webmaster and say "WAKE UP! You forgot to feed your links, they're dead!"

It's like, if you can't maintain a web site that deals with changing information, you have no business making it in the first place. Anyone else here with me on that one?

As a webmaster myself, that is my biggest pet peeve.

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

we could put something together to make people hate their pcs

oh, that's right, microsoft is doing a fine job at that:p

6. Kela macrumors 6502

Look. We are all freaks ok? We are 5% of the world. We are the minority.
    LETS ANALAYSE.

PCs can do everything macs can (only ofcourse the argument that macs are better at graphics).

what good is that however in the world of business. I fyou a re a gay designer from San Fran...then ofcourse the ambience and the ease of use of the mac is preffered. But common, IN NO REALITY ARE THE MACS ANYMORE ABOVE PCs the way they used to be.

Arguments for PC:
    Serious amount of applications
    Games!!
    (and common there good in graphics too)

Arguments for mac:
    ummm, style?
    3D design and Websites?

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

kela...

are you saying that you are a gay designer from San Francisco?

or that you seriously are under-estimating the power of your mac?

or that you simply have no idea?

irmongoose

8. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

9. Pelorus macrumors regular

Er. No Ted...

If PCs can do everything that Macs can then why buy a Mac?

My reasons?

Because I spend all my time on my Mac doing *stuff* and when I have to use the PC I spend half the time just making the PC work properly. While my friends waste their lives on Medal of Honour, I've written three books, edited one movie and run the local user group.

I guess it's a quality of life thing. You either have one or you don't.

10. iapple macrumors regular

Well...

yes PC's can do somethings, it's just far easier on a Mac.
    I've never really USED a PC in my house before, and only use it at school. You'd expect if you only use it for a little time at school there would be very little problems? NO!!!!

PC's have constant problems, and
    Illegal Errors
    Press any key to continue... (ofcourse, nothing happens no matter which key you press, in my experience)

Video Editing is HORRIBLE! (running Adobe Premiere) crashes constantly, cannot import SOUND via Firewire, etc. etc. etc.! (They installed iMovie on the Mac next door, so it would WORK!)

These problems occur quite often. I only use it less than 1hour a day, and still these errors come up. If I imagine using a PC everyday, then thos problems add up... and add up... and add up... and the HUGE AMOUNT OF SOFTWARE seems pointless when you have so many problems with it.

I mean come on! Who is ever going to buy more than 20 types of software when they get a PC? (games are a different story, but that is what PS is for)

Well, I've rambled on a bit, but you get my point.

11. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

The best thing to do is ignore **** like this....
    its adding fuel to the fire its stupid cause if a person that visits of writes on that site will say we said something and then it will be on again
    macusers are friendly and helpful
    Were not slack jawed windows users
    So like I said just ignore it....... It's already dead

12. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

I'dd say this guy is really a macfreak:p, hoping on the release of a superior Apple product,
    And since Apple just upgraded there's existing iMac line he felt sad about it, expressing this.
    I didn't see any comments on the release of the new iMac though!:D

Because Apple has always been a pioneer in the Computer industry, meaning that the complete industry/crowd are wachting Apples' steps closely, and every time the expectations/high hopes are not (fully) fulfilled reactions like these are sent into the world.

The wintel camp does not even know what superior means:D

I personally think that Apple leads the industry, yesterday, tomorrow and certainly in the future.
    Every day I'm amazed of my Macs' superiority compared the stumbling efforts of the wintel camp to copy what Apple does.
    (And I'm not talking Ghz, because I'm convinced that Apple can release a single multiGhz processor tomorrow like intel, but to transform exsisting software that has taken manhours to make it function optimal with harware, would take a tremendous effort to have it function optimally with new hardware, that is why Apple transitions to new hardware smaller steps at the time, making sure that also the software functions optimal with the new hardware) And if you're not convinced yet, intel releases multiGhz processors, but the software is not rewritten or only a bit so trouble in wintel paradise.
    AMD suffers the same problem, although nobody stated it yet.
    but I have proof. I saw an AMD 1700+ running apps at the same speed an intel P3/733 does.
    Winapp are written that they take fully advantage of the P3
    architecture, and not P4 and Athlon

Apple Rules!;)

13. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Weird post.

That post by kela is super weird. He seemed to indicate that hes a Mac user and then proceeds to bash Macs and say PCs are just as good and make some ambiguously negative statement about homosexual people in San Fransisco.

Whah-eva. (Did any of you guys see that SouthPark? Heh.)

Matthew

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Macs are a way of life, lifestyle, or what ever you would like to call it yourself. There is something inately simple/aesthetic/wonderful about owning a mac, working on a mac. Look at Apple's marketing - 'Think Different' that pretty much sums it up.

When people see my TiPB they can't help but comment on it. I'm one of the 5% and damn proud of it!

Don't be a lemming, part of the herd - be different.:D

15. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

"Worst Website Ever" Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.

That is really sad, guess thier movement ran out of steam or his Wintel crappy server died.

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i don't care if a pc can do better or the same as a mac, macs have fewer technical problems

but i still believe macs are far better with multimedia and the pentium 4, whil e good on paper, lacks industry support with their ddr ram and sse2 instructions

adobe makes their stuff for altivec on their heavy duty apps

btw - i think kela is a girl, and show a little respect since kela, along with spikey and others, made this site popular that you are raging on and if it wasn't for the original heavy posters like kela, macrumors would be a private chat line for ten mac users

i used to hear kela and spikey's name in mac circles and before them, when i used to be a member, no one ever heard jack **** about macrumors

so there's my history lesson

17. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

OK, so she's been around the block a time or two. Kudos to her. But you have to admit that the post was pretty much flame bait.

I generally don't show respect to people throwing around statements such as that. Blah.

Matthew

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Oh no, you used the z-word.

Things are a getting a little heated in here, don't you think? And we're now all totally of thread - which started out try to bash an anti-mac site - now we're bashing each other.

Everybodies got an opinion, deal with it.

20. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

opinions are one thing...

but personally flaming someone is another...

but point made...it has gone completely off topic here...

so anyway...the site does suck...but as pointed out, it is kinda old...so it shouldn't be much of a bother... ;)

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

On another thread, we discussed why aren't there any PC Zealots. Well, even though the site is out of date, its proof they're out there.

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

THE PC DUDES GOT US AGAIN:D ;)

23. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Grrrr....

Look, I have nothing personal against kela. I just thought the post was weird and inflammatory. I think I was acting very adult by not name-calling and expressing my view point.

If I made a statement about how Macs aren't any better than PCs and that only gay designers in San Fransisco would find them advantageous, do you think that I would get attacked???? Dang straight I would.

Look, I'm sorry if I put anyone out by commenting on the post. But I stand by my opinion: I think the post was strange in that she professed to be part of the Mac culture, then made confrontational statements against the Mac and stereotyped a group of people. I disagree with that *strongly*.

Why? Because, I consider myself to be part of the Mac culture and I think that Macs certainly have some advantages over PCs--just as they have some disadvantages. I also think that Macs transcend gender, sexuality and politics and feel most people would benifit from the Mac experience.

Again, I'm sorry for offending anyone with my opinions. But I don't retract them--especially not just because a person has been around longer than I have.

Matthew

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

and i am sure ed wood would have used a mac

...with an angora covering, of course:p

25. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Since I'm neither gay nor a "designer," I'm going to try not to take that post personally... but I'm not going to try very hard. There's really no need to be that way, Kela.

[editing to append an actual positive point here]
    There's a lot more to owning and using a Mac nowadays than satisfying some vague aesthetic, although that is VERY important to some people (including some straight people *ahem*). I'm not really one to prefer form over function, but the fact that I can get a seriously powerful geek machine that is still easy to use when I need it to be, AND which just reeks of good design philosophy and attention to detail... that is (as I've said before) literally a dream come true.

Remember also that Sculley almost killed the company trying to fit Macs into the horrid little "beige box" world, so don't be so quick to dismiss innovative design as mere fluff.