mac laptop setup for a graphic designer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ForbiddenDrake, Feb 21, 2007.

1. ForbiddenDrake macrumors newbie

hey all, i am a high school student that is interested in the graphic design field. i do freelance graphic design work, such as logos/banners/business cards. all of this work is done on my desktop at home. i have recently decided to go "portable" and had my eyes on mac laptops since they have such a high reputation for the multimedia user. well the thing is, i'm new to macs and don't know where to start. i was wondering if anyone can help out recommending a setup for a mac laptop. as for what i am looking for, i like to have a fast laptop capable of multitasking. preferred screen size of 15" or above. and maybe a recent generation with intel processor. i am on a low income at the moment due to school work, and i find myself out of the house very often and so i would like to find a laptop to do some "work" and increase my portfolio. i would probably spend about 800ish.

so if you have any recommended spec.s that would be great, and if you are selling your laptop (g4 + beyond) offer them up. thanks a lot.

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i think u answered your own question....
    Just put as much RAM as you can afford, plus an external drive (FW 800) and an added bonus would be an upgraded video card

3. ForbiddenDrake thread starter macrumors newbie

what type of laptop do you recommend? (ibook, powerbook, macbook, etc.)

i already have a 400gb external hard drive, so hd space is not a problem for me.
    i just need to know what people think is appropriate since i am somewhat new to laptops and macs so i don't know what is a good limit, budget wise and performance wise.

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

best to worest
    1. macbook pro - C2D
    2. mac book C2D
    3. mac book pro
    4. mac book
    5. powerbooks
    6. ibooks

i don't think u need to go pro yet. I think a new macbook would do the trick and save you money.
    The other things to consider is if you will be buying CS3 which is universal. CS2 will run better on a powerbook then on a macbook pro

5. ForbiddenDrake thread starter macrumors newbie

i see. i guess i'll be looking for a macbook w/ core duo. thanks.