Mac LCII problems

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by joecool85, Oct 15, 2006.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Ok, I was playing around with my LCII which didn't work and I got it to start up yesterday by throwing in a drive I had pulled from a powermac 7200/90 that had 7.6.1 on it. It started up and ran fine, so today I was going to do a clean install on that drive and call it good. This morning, it wouldn't start. I took the cover off and checked the battery (which I had replaced last year in an attempt to fix it then) and it was corroded on the neg side some. I cleaned it up and tried it, no good. I had a spare battery (tested at 3.67v, the old one tested at 3.64 so it shouldn't have been a problem) and I cleaned up the prongs on the board, threw it in, and no go again. Anyone have some ideas as to why this thing won't start? It has 10mb of RAM, and I'm using an adapter to drive a VGA LCD monitor. I know that part works, because it did it yesterday just fine.

2. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

sounds like a dead power supply to me, assuming "doesn't start" means that it doesn't spin up, no bong, no nothing.

3. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

Oh, I had one of those. shuddder I just remembered what I paid for it. Good lord!

4. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Oh, I should have been more specific. It spins the fan, spins the hd, but no apple startup noise and nothing on the screen. I tested the molex power plug going to the hd and it had the standard 5v and 12v, so the power supply seems fine.

5. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    perhaps it has bad vram chips...if they were bad nothing would show up on the monitor, but the computer would still turn on...

6. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

There is probably no way to test that huh? And also, what are the odds that would go bad from yesterday to today? Seems unlikely at best to me.