Mac lost in shipping

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stujohnson, Oct 12, 2006.

1. stujohnson macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2006

Has anyone had any experiences having their mac lost in shipping?
    I live in Vancouver Canada and ordered a macbook on september 30th...
    It shipped with sameday-right o way and, well, they lost it!

Apple, however, has been stellar in their customer service and will of course send another one out. I have to give apple credit, they take care of their customers.
    However, 3 weeks and 1 lost macbook is a hassle.

My advice to anyone in vancouver canada buying a macbook thru apple would be to avoid this shipping company (not that you can choose)... My g/f ordered one 4 days after me and hers went with's been here for a week. I think if you upgrade anything, you ship with sameday, if it's stock, you ship with fedex. Anyone know if that's true?

if i had to do this again I would have paid for the faster shipping to avoid sameday-right o way.

Anyone else had any familiar experiences?

----dying to get that macbook!
  2. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

Jul 21, 2003
    Lost Powerbook

I ordered a Powerbook a few years ago from a reputable mac reseller. I had it shippped overnight and it never showed up. UPS never did find it so I got a new one a few days later from the seller. Pretty scary stuff waiting to find out if I was liable for the shipped book.
  3. phuong macrumors 6502a

Aug 16, 2006
    it can happen at any time, to any one, no matter which carrier you choose. they have thousands, if not millions of packages to process everyday, so if the scanner was a little tired or lost focus on his job, he could miss a package, then that package will be almost untracable.

you make it sound like same day right o way is a bad company but it isn't. i ordered a MP and within 5 days, it's right in front of my door. they even phoned me the day before to make sure i would be home at the time of delivery.

about other carriers, i have dealt with them all: canada post, hongkong post, vietnam post, china post, usps, ups, fedex, purolator, dhl ..they all had troubles at some point, but all of them were solved very quickly and i've never been left unhappy.
  4. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

Aug 1, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    My last powerbook was ordered from apple direct.

the powerbook and accessories were shipped direct from Taiwan or China. Shipped as express. came within days. Had not problems.

sucks to look a lil time though.
  5. Fredou51 macrumors regular

May 23, 2006
    Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    I had really bad experiences in the past with Sameday. An iMac, two years ago visited most of Canada before it finally ended up where I live. At the end, I called them daily and they always said thing like: "Oh, were sorry, it was accidently sent in Alberta instead." (It was already in Toronto the day before which is two hours from where I live). And just last month, I thought that I had been unlucky last time and that everything would be good now and I ordered my Mac Pro with free shipping again. And I got unlucky once again and it shipped with Sameday. Same kind of service: weeks before receiving the parcel (it is true, more than 2 weeks), tracking number giving very limited information and worst of all they wouldn't even deliver where I live (UPS, FedEx and Purolator does). Next time I'll get expedited shipping for sure.

6. stujohnson thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2006
    I realize that there are many millions of shipments going to and fro within a shipping company... I worked for fedex ocean freight for a number of years. However, bothered me simply because I couldn't get the truth from them! one day it was here, the next it was there.... each time "it'll arrive tomorrow" was what I was told. Any emails I sent them were never answered!
    Not until apple phoned them did we get the truth... As I would imagine, Apple would be one of their larger clients, so they don't mess around with them.
    Anyway, glad apple is on my side, not theirs
  7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The Canadian Mac forums are pretty unanimous in their derision of Sameday-Right-O-Way. The general advice is to choose the expedited shipping option on your order to make sure it goes by FedEx rather than the lowest cost choice.