.Mac? Love it or hate it?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by flyfish29, Apr 1, 2004.

1. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I was wondering what other's experiences were with .Mac now that it seems much more reliable?

If you love it list your top 3 favorite things about .Mac.

I happen to love .Mac as it has become extremely reliable and is the only email account I use. Everything about it from Backup to iSyncing bookmarks to homepages with my iPhotos now seems to work. When I first started last fall there was a couple of months where I had issues with homepage and iPhoto, but that has all been fixed.

My top three are:

Backup!
    Home Page!
    very reliable email

runner up:iSyncing my bookmarks so I can use them on any computer!

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

1. .Mac Mail: it's super-reliable and I never get any spam :) It also integrates perfectly with Mail
    2. Homepage: I can put all my photos up without hastle (well, there's the 48 images limit, that's kinda annoying...)
    3. iSync: for the same reason as you stated, the same bookmarks on all my machines.

3. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

1. Backup
    2. Backup
    3. Backup

It's the first backup software i've used, and while I don't use it with .Mac, I wouldn't be using it if I didn't have .Mac.

That said,

2. iSync (when you have a bluetooth phone, iPod and laptop, a photography company, design company and a very active band... is when you realize how great iSync is!)
    3. iCal hosting for similar reasons above, used in conjuntion with iSync

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm just like you as far as what I like about .Mac:
    1. Backup
    2. iSync (.Mac sync)
    3. iCal publishing on .Mac

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

1. iSync -- very handy for keeping calendars, contacts and bookmarks synchronized.
    2. Public folder -- easy way to make files available for web downloads
    3. Web calendars -- in addition to my personal calendars, I use it to publish the calendar of a service club I belong to.

Now, the e-mail service, that's a big complaint for me. The mail servers seem to go offline for some part of nearly every day. They're unavailable right now as a matter of fact.

6. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Wow, this is very interesting. I am a stay at home dad and therefore send, check and receive email almost every 30 minutes and I have not had any issues with the server being down. Do you get an error message when this happens?

I have had a handful of times(six in six months) where I suspect there is a problem and I keep getting an error saying I need to correctly enter my password in, etc. but I just give it 20 minutes and it seems to correct itself.

Can you tell us more about what happens with you and your email/server?

7. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Me

1) iSync
    2) iDisk (and its syncing abilities)
    3) email

iSync and iDisk helps me keep my iBook and PowerMac on the same page. Email I don't use much since I have an account here that school, but I get some personal stuff though it. Homepage I haven't used to much, I have an account again at school with 100MB just for a website. Since my iDisk holds my website and documents, I'll keep my site where it is at so I can use the large space just that. I don't need to do a back up since everything is shared back and forth between the two Macs via iDisk and iSync.

8. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

iDisk
    email
    iSync
    other occasionally useful features

.mac rocks, unfortunately price-wise it just can't compare with other alternatives. It's simple, and makes things quite easy, I guess you're paying for that.

I've been a happy .Mac member for 1.5 years. No idea if I will renew when the time comes.

9. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Backup works as advertised and since the emac is on 24/7 it backs up everything every 24 hours when i go to bed. The next best thing is iphoto and for uploading photos, it takes a mere 3 clicks and its done! Even my friends are impressed by it! After that is whatever i use, but both of those 2 examples i listed are worth the yearly asking price.

10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

iDisk
    iSync
    public folder (I'd say Backup but I haven't found it completely reliable)

11. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    iSync
    email
    Backup

(Do I win a prize for a new permutation?) ;

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

iDisk.

That's about it. All the other things I could get other ways, but the convenience of iDisk with automatic background syncing keeps me signed up. I get email through my ISP, I have Web space from my ISP, and the e-mail through my ISP is better than .mac because I can use my own .com address. (Yes, I know I could forward my .com e-mail to my .mac account, but then when I reply to those messages the reply-to address is different. Very unprofessional.)

13. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Can't you change the "reply to" address? I send email through my isp, but it appears to "come" from my permanent email address I get through my college (which forwards only). But that's using entourage, not mail.