Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hackcomic.com

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
My mom has an imac- she doesn't really know how to use it other than to go on the internet and maybe fool around a bit with Iphoto. For Mothers Day I was thinking about getting her a magazine subscription. Is there a Mac Magazine for beginners? (She has a hard time even figuring out how to use Word.) Just something that maybe mentions good fun web sites to go to- and some really simple Mac tips?

I looked at MacHome- that seemed ok..

Any other magazine recommendations for non computer savy people?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
you might want to check out MacWorld and MacAddict as well, but im not sure if they are exactly what you are looking for

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
You don't have many options, but I would go with MacHome. I find the magazine a little basic, but it will probably be suitable for your mother. They have basic tips as well as more "advanced" stuff. Good luck.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I personally read Mac Addict. There's not much of a market for "beginner" magazines as (if they're successful) their readers will not need to renew subscriptions.

Mac Addict says enough in plain english for her to understand some stuff. Otherwise, maybe an "OSX For Dummies" book would do her better. I'm off to find a mothers day gift tomorrow, good luck to both of us.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Ooh! Ooh! Idea!

Get her some different magazines (MacAddict, MacHome, iCreate etc.) and let her pick out her faveorite for a subscription. It'll be a $40 investment, but at least you know she'll enjoy the subscription you end up getting her.

Dragon88

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2004
Sounds to me like a book would be a more useful gift. Instead of a useful tip here and there she can get a full explaination of things in order from basics to more advanced stuff. A magazine might have a jumble of different info that would only be confusing.

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
Missing Manual for Panther!

This is what you want to get your mom instead of or in addition to a mag subscription:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/macxmmpanther/

Avalible at most bookstores and certainly any Apple Store. This is the greatest book for learning all about OS X--all the tricks it can do, all the short cuts. And it's written in a really entertaining manner. A good read and all questions answered!

And what a great mom's day gift! Good thinking! Don't forget to toss in breakfast in bed and a few flowers :p

whw5

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2004
Atlanta
I would go with MacAddict or MacHome. Mac world is a very boring mac mag. Its stories are neither very fun to read of interesting. MacAddict's mag is easy to understand and its stories are interesting. MacHome is not very advanced and is a bit to simple for some but your mom would probably enjoy both of those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.