Mac Magazine for beginners?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Hackcomic.com, May 5, 2004.

1. Hackcomic.com macrumors regular

My mom has an iMac- she doesn't really know how to use it other than to go on the internet and maybe fool around a bit with Iphoto. For Mothers Day I was thinking about getting her a magazine subscription. Is there a Mac Magazine for beginners? (She has a hard time even figuring out how to use Word.) Just something that maybe mentions good fun web sites to go to- and some really simple Mac tips?

I looked at MacHome- that seemed ok..

Any other magazine recommendations for non computer savy people?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you might want to check out MacWorld and MacAddict as well, but im not sure if they are exactly what you are looking for

3. Hackcomic.com thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, MacWorld is great- but not beginner enough for her.

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

You don't have many options, but I would go with MacHome. I find the magazine a little basic, but it will probably be suitable for your mother. They have basic tips as well as more "advanced" stuff. Good luck.

5. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I personally read Mac Addict. There's not much of a market for "beginner" magazines as (if they're successful) their readers will not need to renew subscriptions.

Mac Addict says enough in plain english for her to understand some stuff. Otherwise, maybe an "OSX For Dummies" book would do her better. I'm off to find a mothers day gift tomorrow, good luck to both of us.

6. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Ooh! Ooh! Idea!

Get her some different magazines (MacAddict, MacHome, iCreate etc.) and let her pick out her faveorite for a subscription. It'll be a $40 investment, but at least you know she'll enjoy the subscription you end up getting her.

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    but that kinda defeats the purpose of a surprise.

8. Dragon88 macrumors newbie

Sounds to me like a book would be a more useful gift. Instead of a useful tip here and there she can get a full explaination of things in order from basics to more advanced stuff. A magazine might have a jumble of different info that would only be confusing.

9. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

Missing Manual for Panther!

This is what you want to get your mom instead of or in addition to a mag subscription:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/macxmmpanther/

Avalible at most bookstores and certainly any Apple Store. This is the greatest book for learning all about OS X--all the tricks it can do, all the short cuts. And it's written in a really entertaining manner. A good read and all questions answered!

And what a great mom's day gift! Good thinking! Don't forget to toss in breakfast in bed and a few flowers :p

10. whw5 macrumors regular

I would go with MacAddict or MacHome. Mac world is a very boring mac mag. Its stories are neither very fun to read of interesting. MacAddict's mag is easy to understand and its stories are interesting. MacHome is not very advanced and is a bit to simple for some but your mom would probably enjoy both of those.

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Get her jewelry or perfume. Getting a Mac magazine for Mother's day is like getting a power tool or an ironing board. ;)