Mac Magazines - post your favorites.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CmdrLaForge, Aug 13, 2006.

1. macrumors 68030

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

I just wondered whats everybodys favorite Mac Magazine is and if you guys still read magazines hence the information is most of the time really outdated. I myself get most of the information from websites like Macrumors.

Cheers
    LaForge

2. macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I embarrasingly get PC User (magazine here in Australia) sometimes has some Mac stuff. Here is my best source of info though :D

3. macrumors regular

dbhays

I like mac addict. Though, I find the humor just above juvenile at times they do have good reviews on products. I also like their Ask Us section and Unix University.

4. macrumors 65816

cwedl

I used to/and still like Macworld, but when I started to buy it, back in 2003 it was only £3.50 (I'm pretty sure anyway). Now its £5.00! I only buy it now if I have a long travel time, i.e. I was going to buy it in Gatwick Airport for my flight in two weeks, but I may not be able to now!

5. macrumors 6502

Macworld
    Mac Addict
    Macworld uk
    Icreate
    Machome

My 5 favorite.

6. thread starter macrumors 68030

CmdrLaForge

Do you prefer Macworld US or Macworld UK ? Is there a difference?

7. macrumors newbie

Me too. I think Mac Addict is the best Mac Magazine in the States.:D MacWorld's OK but the UK version gets marked up so much at Border's and Barnes and Noble

8. macrumors 6502

Well living in America macworld is $7 but macworld uk is $20 but it also has twice the material.So Macworld uk is better but it is more expensive and can be more than a month late here in miami.

9. macrumors 6502

Mac addict is a little pricey because it has that stupid cd and you cant look at the inside without buying it so you cant tell if it is worth it is also a smaller mag than macworld.

10. macrumors regular

macaddicted

11. macrumors regular

dbhays

There is discussion of doing away with the CD. They should just have the demos and freebies available on their website. I can't remember the last time I even put in their CD.

12. macrumors 68040

XIII

13. macrumors 6502

There was a poll in this months issue regarding the cd.

14. macrumors 6502

Icreate is a greate magazine like how they put screenshots of apple.com near the back and the what if apple made this page. The problem is magazines from the uk have month old imformation once there in America.

15. macrumors member

16. macrumors 6502

bigrell486

17. macrumors 6502a

Cybix

since buying my new mac this year I started buying some magazines.. although after reading some of them, I've come to the conclusion that all the 'hot news' and articles, etc are all ripped from web sites that offer the information for free (macrumors included)...

some of the 'hot news' stuff is ALMOST word for word off here, or some other site... what a joke.

I paid my subscription to macrumors.com so i think that will suffice from now on :)

18. macrumors 68020

R.Youden

has to be iCreate, great work, glad its back now

19. macrumors G4

Chundles

Australian Macworld is waay better than the US version. Sure, most of the stories are the same and they just edit the prices, weights, temps etc. but the print stock is thicker, the print quality is better and it just feels like a higher quality publication. And it's only A$6.95 so it's a dead-set bargain in the price department.

20. macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I know what I'm buying tomorrow at the newsagent :D Forget my subscription to PC user!

21. macrumors regular

Heh, I used to subscribe to PC User many years ago. I just felt it was getting dumber and dumber (or I was getting smarter and smarter ?). The only good bit was the "Hardware roundups" they did, they where quite handy.

22. macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I bought an edition of iCreate the other month. Thought it was a bit rubbish really. Just seemed like a serialised manual for iLife (and some other honorable additions).

23. macrumors regular

I think iCreate is pretty good if you're a switcher, thinking of switching or relatively new to the Mac. Once you're an 'expert', its value drops off, but maybe that applies to all mags. Trouble is, I can't get off the treadmill because I have them all back to no.1.

I also subscribe to MacFormat -- am I the only one? No-one else has mentioned it.

24. macrumors newbie

I prefer Mac Addict but get Macworld as well. But the Mac Addict cd is pretty much usless these days.

25. thread starter macrumors 68030

CmdrLaForge

Why do most people prefer MacAddict? I would like to subscribe to either Macworld or Macaddict - not both. How many pages does each one have?

Cheers
    LaForge