mac magazines

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by keithpetey, Jan 7, 2005.

1. keithpetey macrumors member

Nov 30, 2004
    i feel like subscribing to a mac magazine but i dont feel like buying two of them. does anyone read them? which is the best? the only two i know of is macaddict and macworld. thanks in advance.

2. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Sep 25, 2004
    I get both of them and I find then equally good and pretty similar .. it will be a hard choice to make ..

Maybe you should get a single issue of both at the news stand and see which one you like better ..
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Between those, I prefer MacAddict - you get a useful CD, and the articles seem more timely and the tips more useful.

However, they're both good. MA is just a preference for me - and I get both, too.
  4. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    I get Macworld, although i do have one issue of MacAddict. Macworld has just about the same stuff on their website for free as they put in their magazine. I just like to have them for those "liturature" times when away from a computer. ;)
  5. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    i remember when macworld used to be called macuser :pthose were the days
  6. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Indeed - and the magazine used to actually be thick enough that it had some real heft to it.

I miss those days. :(
  7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says....I remember the days when we had both Macworld *and* MacUser, and they both had substantial content. Nowadays, neither of the two biggies (Macworld and MacAddict) excite me very much....but if you are into graphics in any way MacDesign always has some good tutorials...oh yeah!
  8. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    I wrangled a sub to MacWorld out of my boss at work. I used to subscribe to MacAddict, too, but I let that one run out.
    They are both good, although the news is pretty old if you keep up with the rumor sites. Of course, there's nothing quite like holding that magazine in your hands (says the guy who works for a printer).
  9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I get both MacWorld and MacAddict as somehow I got both subscriptions free when I registered my Powerbook. Anyway, they're both good, but if I had to have just one it would be MacAddict, because even regular subscribers get a CD with each issue. MacWorld includes a CD with newsstand copies, and they have the contents of the CD online for subscribers, but I find it convenient to have an actual CD.
  10. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    iCreate, its an excellent magazine, beautifully designed, with great tutorials.
  11. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004
    I once looked at getting subscription to either MA or MW, but I sort of have a problem with paying for information which I can get (way more up to date) online. A lot of the news is available on the net. Then I'd only be doing it for the tips and tricks types of things, lots of which are available online aswell!
    So I'll just stick to my websites! :)
  12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    MacAddict use to be pretty good but it got a little thin and they would spin benchmarks into meaningless garble of perfomance as a percentage of what some older machine could do. To much smoke and mirrors instead of posting just the facts like framrates and resolutions etc.... It was almost a deliberate attempt so you couldnt pin down performance of one Mac vs another. This really pissed me off when trying to figure out how much Mac you would need to play say UT2004 or some other title.
  13. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

Aug 5, 2003
    USA, New York
    iCreate is an EXCELLENT magazine. Not to mention all the other ones (WebPages,Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.) that publisher puts out. Not only is the content good but the magazine itself is printed well.

This is yet another excellent Mag.

Funny how most of the good magazines come out of the UK.

14. nerd macrumors member

May 15, 2004
    I think Mac Addict is slightly more "fun" to read. I subscribe to both MA and MW, but every month I think to myself "Why am I paying to read this old news that I heard about online weeks ago?"
  15. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

Aug 5, 2003
    USA, New York
    I think the Mac Magazine Industry has to move away (and ARE...) from the traditional format, due to the internet replacing the way we get our information. They just can't reach and put out news/stories fast enough. WHAT they need to do is contain more of a tutorial type format on various subjects. From Web design to system maintenance.

What do you guys think?

16. SeaFox macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2003
    Somewhere Else
    Macworld was never called MacUser. They were separate magazines. MacUser shut down and merged with Macworld. I miss the old Macworld (from those days). It was a lot thicker, and more technical. They've gotten soft the last few years to cater to "a wider audience" if I remember a statement they made at one point. I have eight years back issues of Macworld, and the earlier ones are about 3/8" thick!
  17. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    i agree. you get enough hardware info already on the apple site. there is no need for a mag that prints outdated infos and rumors.

i'm always a little bit disappointed with the hardware tests and tutorials in MA and MW. they should bring in dept harware analysis, in dept software tutorials. stuff that i can't find out myself, tricks that really help, professional ways to do things. but unfortunately it seems to me they just surf the web or try software for a day to write their articles.

macup used to be good at this. they had useful tutorials for average users that gave you pro know how.

18. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2004
    South Jersey
    Agreed- I have MA & MW because I got them free with computers & since I've subscribed to iCreate I rarely read the other 2 anymore...
  19. AnewMac macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2004
    The Northern Plains of OK!
    I get MacAddict, and I read the MacWorld we get in the library. Both are highly similar, you cant miss either way.
  20. zulgand04 macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    Northborough, MA
    i've had macworld for about 5 years and always enjoy the read even though its a bit dated theres always some good tips and reviews.

21. XIII macrumors 68040

Aug 15, 2004
    Agreed. Thats what I get...
  22. phgreer macrumors regular

Jul 18, 2002
    Greenville, SC
    I have checked out a lot of the Mac Magazine and for me the most useful is MacDesign. I subsribe to it.

News magazines are pretty useless these days with the Internet because I usually get the info in the news magazines a few weeks to a month later that I originally heard about it.

Mac Design is also just a useful if you are using the same featured programs on a Windows machine as well. i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, etc.

We currently are a two platform house/business. The current desktop is a Dell 8200 and the laptop is an iBook. We eventually plan on replacing the desktop with a Power Mac G5 one day (hopefully sometime this year).

The url for Mac Design is Mac Design Online
  23. Angelus macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2002
    New Zealand
    Personally i prefer MacWorld. Every once in a while i'll get MacUser but not all the time since it's fortnightly and costs the same as MacWorld. I don't like iCreate that much, they spend too much time filling the mag with those iCandy sections.
  24. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I find MacAddict to be great bathroom reading :p
  25. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    Not really too into the mac mags anymore, but if memory serves...

I used to like MacDirectory - some fluff, but lotsa good stuff too.

I also find iCreate excellent.