Mac Magazines

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Kosher Terror, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Kosher Terror macrumors member

I have read a few mac magazines before, but I am now in the market for ordering a subscription. Does anyone have any recomendations on any good ones? I have read MacAddict and Macworld before but since I will only be getting one I want to know other peoples opinions.

2. dpclark macrumors member

icreate - its a uk mag - but its one of the best put together magazines I have ever read - look on uk e-bay for people fighting to bid on back issues.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Macworld (the UK edition, which is 12 bucks on the newstands here in the states) is good.

I get Macworld in three different places because I register all the Macs at work - it's very good, and would be my first choice.

Mac Addict is a fun magazine, and I like Mac Home, too.

Given a choice, for subscription, Macworld, but that's just me. :cool:

4. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I second that. iCreate is a fantastic magazine. Its just gone monthly and FWIW if you subscribe now you get FreeWay Express thrown in.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I just ordered MacWorld for a year. Use to use MacAddict but their articles got to short and they have a habit of spinning benches into a meaningless garble of machine vs machine rather then just the facts such as Frames per second or time on new titles & programs. Example from Dec04 benching a iMac 20" they show a graph and it shows for UT2003 that a ImacG5 Hits 290% of a iMacG4 that is at 100% WTF? so everything in the G5 imac was stated as a percentage of the old imac G4. Anyways garbled spin rather then just giving us the numbers. Look at bench spin and it is almost a deliberate way of not being able to compare performance of all machines by time demo's. Had subscribed for years but this had gotton silly plus a few of the better people have left the past few years. Give common benches on all reviews MacAddict! Stop Bench Spin! anyways i canceled. :D

6. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Consider that thirded. I've got very issue from number one and I'm a subscriber (didn't get the free copy of Freeway express sadly :( )

7. numediaman macrumors 6502a

The U.S. magazines are rather pathetic (the PC ones are not any better, by the way). Sadly, editors in the U.S. are not encouraged to be creative or to stray from the pre-determined formula -- a formula usually set by the Publisher (read: advertising manager). As a result, they are rarely inventive, and never very entertaining or informative. (Can you tell that I'm in the magazine business myself?)

8. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

numediaman,

I'd agree with that. There are certain magaiznes that give out way too many four and five star ratings.*It certainly seems like the advertisers have alot of influence.

9. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

I have subscriptions to both macWorld and MacAddict - I like MacWord for the depth of reporting and the delivery of factual content, and MacAddict for their rather unconventional approach to Mac reporting that seems to be rather more laid back, fun based and irreverent.

Of the two, I'd pick MacWorld if I could only have one - and indeed, I was going to drop macAddict when my subscription ran out, but sometimes their tone is just right. Macs, after all, are supposed to be fun sometimes!

10. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

iCreate... It's the best magazine I've ever seen... A bit pricey, but well worth it... I'm not knocking MacWorld & MacAddict, I subscribe to them too, but iCreate blows them away...

11. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Yeah, MacWorld is okay. Got a free 1 yr subscription after ordering my PB from the Apple Store online. Seems like iCreate is the one to get. Is it a UK thing or can I get it here in US?

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I love icreate. It gives you ideas on what to do using ilife, FCE and photoshop elements 3

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'd rather have MacFormat than any other non-technical Mac magazine. It has a mix of things and some depth, along with the usual 2 CD-ROMs of goodies.

Most other magazines are okay. MacAddict can be fun but it's rather thin.

14. jywv8 macrumors 6502

I had a free subscription to MacWorld for a year. I liked it...but not enough to renew the subscription after the freebie ran out.

15. dpclark macrumors member

It is a UK mag - but International Subscribers can sign up here

Icreate Sub Link

16. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

In the past I have gotten MacWorld and MacUser (for years), MacHome, and MacAddict. I still occasionally pick one up on the newsstand but honestly the news in them seems so old by the time they are published that they're just not as interesting or useful as they used to be. This has a lot to do with the whole rumor and speculation aspect being taken away by the internet with sites such as this, plus the "interaction" that the magazines never had. Also, there's been an explosion in Mac books in recent times. Five years ago the Mac section of our local Borders was probably a foot and a half long, now it has to be almost ten times as large.

It takes several months for anything to get into a printed magazine, so here it is almost march and I'm just now seeing "first impressions" of the stuff introduced at MacWorld Expo the second week of January. Well, online you can read much more timely reviews from users who have actually bought/played with/ripped apart and reassembled/tested the devices themselves, the magazines no longer have the "We got ahold of one first, let us tell you about it" angle to play on. Furthermore, I can find something specific I need much easier either online or in the bookstore than I can if I wait for one of the magazines to do a "feature" on it. If I want to know about AppleScript, I'm not going to wait for an article about it, I want to know now, so I go to the book store and look through one of the seven AppleScript books, or go to Apple's dev site. There's are lots of books that will teach you every "tip and trick" available for the Mac (plus websites like Mac OS X Hints), that I don't need to wait for some MacWorld writer to find a few and trickle them out each month, I can get them all at once, and probably more in-depth.

I'm not saying the Mac mags are useless now, but I don't get the same enjoyment reading them that I once did, and find myself quickly leafing through most of them now instead of reading every page like I used to. I have not found it worth it to subscribe to any in recent times.

17. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Macworld is the best, IMO. I have a yearly subscription with them and I also get MacAddict. I just get MacAddict because I got a 3yr subscription for $5 on ebay.

18. AnewMac macrumors regular

I have MacAddict, and I am letting my subscription run out. It is nice to have an easy read, but you can get way more online, and at this site.

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

same here, although if i hade to choose it would be between iCreate and MacWorld, both are very good and helpful

maybe i should look into MacFormat, sounds like a good magazine

20. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

The main reason I love iCreate is not so much the news items, which I agree are by and large old by the time its gets to print, but rather the superb, full colour, step-by-step help guides, which have helped me on a number of occasions. The design of the magazine, fonts, great use of photos etc. are also a pleasant eye candy bonus.
    Vanilla