Mac Magazines.

Discussion in 'Community' started by sk8erboy, Aug 30, 2005.

1. sk8erboy macrumors regular

Hi, im going to buy a magazine subscription.. the choices are:

mac addict,
    mac world,
    mac home journal,

basically im looking for tips, tricks, updates, free programs, etc.

anyone have advice? thanks

2. Chubypig macrumors 6502

I would suggest getting an issue of each and deciding which one you prefer. They all offer the things you're looking for, it more or less comes down to which style you prefer.

I have Macworld, but I'm thinking of also getting MacAddict just for more variety.

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

yep, i agree... he should read a few see which one he likes.

4. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I couldnt decide..

I have Macworld and MacAddict

:D

Ed

5. cruxed macrumors regular

cruxed

I personally prefer MacWorld having read both of them

6. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I used to subscribe to Mac World, Addict, and Home, but dropped home a few years ago because it's more for the new user type (or home type...), then Addict went when I didn't bother to renew the subscription (but they're a really awesome crew IMO) and I'm still reading World since the articles are more, professional and there's more writing in World.

It really all depends on what writing style you like. I kinda miss Mac Addict though. :(
    -Chase

7. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I got like a 6 month subscription to Mac Addict when I bought my g5, personally I find it to be a bit 'fluffy' for my taste.

"Mac OS X is pretty, but if you don't like the bright buttons you can go under system preferences to change them graphite!"

and crap like that.

8. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

The magazines are pretty thin, and go by really fast, then you have to wait another month...

*sigh*

Only good for a couple of train rides...

EDIT: I read Macworld

9. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

To be honest, I can't be bothered with getting mac magazines, when you have a forum of this quality who needs magazines with their 1 month old info?

10. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Train rides remember?
    Some of us don't have big fancy cars and gas money for those big fancy cars, thus take public transportation...

*sigh*

11. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I like reading a Mac magazine because it gives another perspective from an editorial point of view, and the mags aren't just about info but how-to's and other articles (not to mention the reviews and handy comparison guides). Plus, they make a great read when you want to read something from the past (I've got mags since '97, and I just realized that that seems like a really long time ago).
    -Chase

12. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I subscribe to Mac World. I got a free 1 Year Subscription when I bought my eMac, so I took advantage of it. I really like the magazine. It's very informative. I renewed my subscription a while back. (Actually before my free subscription ended)

I have one issue of Mac Addict that I bought back in 2001 when I first developed an interest in Macs. Also, I just ordered a lot of 29 Mac Addict and Mac World magazines on eBay that range anywhere from '98-'02, I believe.

13. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

iCreate > all. :D I subscribe to MW UK, but buy every copy of iCreate.. I should really subscribe.. ;)

14. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

A new mag I picked up the past weekend in the UK is Mac Creative (not sure if any links to iCreate...). I was about to buy Mac Format but this mag caught my eye and it was the very first issue. Looks superb, features quite a lot of internet interaction and rumours (not decided yet if that's lazy or being 'in touch') and it has some excellent guides including, how and why you could and should switch from Quark to inDesign, which to me currently is a big issue.

I was going to write a mini review on the forum but just haven't had the time (barely had the time to read it really!).

£6 (like Mac Format) but worth a shot for a couple of issues at least. At first glance, the included CD has some good stuff on it too.

I don't read iCreate but that is widely regarded as one of the best, if not the best on the shelves.