Mac Mags and resources

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TrenchMouth, Sep 1, 2003.

1. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

Nov 21, 2002
    I was recently going over some information about possible career choices as i am a junior in college right now and i still don't have much of a clue as to what i want to do. I am a European History major at a liberal arts college with my original intention being to end up at law school. That may still become reality, but i would like to give myself some more options.

I have used Macs from day one and there is nothing i like more than getting the latest copy of MacWorld or MacAddict and seeing what new technological and developmental means are being created. I always thought I would enjoy the video editing or computer graphic design field, but I just haven't gotten around to investigating much. So, what I am asking for here is some advice on where there are resources pertaining to this sort of stuff. Professional magazines, web sites, whatever. Anything would be good, I just want to get an idea of what is needed to get started, where to train, and what the possibilities are as far as career moves.

The areas that I am most interested in learning about are video editing, graphic design (2D), and publishing. Thanks for any help you can provide. I am not completely lazy, I am doing searches on my own on the Internet and elsewhere, I just know that there are others that are much more well informed about this sort of stuff than I am.
  2. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    well this is my opinion, nothing is greater than getting a book and learning the program. i would recommend you get final cut pro 4 with your ed discount, and get apple's pro training book and just teach yourself. same with design. i would learn the basics of the program, then take some classes on experting them. i have the final cut pro 4 pro training book and its reallly good. i havent gotten into it much because im waiting for my g5 to come in instead of starting a project on my current powermac. now i have never trained with video editing or design programs, ive just taught myself. this is just the order i would go through, but that really doesnt say much. but a book will be a lot less than training for the time being.