Mac Mail and Exchange Server

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AtHomeBoy_2000, Apr 26, 2006.

1. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

I am having a REAL hard time getting Mail and Exchange server to play well toghter. I have access to the server where I work, but I can' get e-mail to work at all! I have a PC and a Mac. When i use outlook on the PC it works great. The same settings in mail.... nothing. Does anyone have any experience in this? If so, please point me in the right direction. :)

2. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

MS Entourage will be your best bet. It's in MS Office 2004 for Mac.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Note that Entourage is nothing at all like Outlook, it doesn't support MAPI (Outlook's standard protocol) and pretty much requires the Exchange server to support IMAP4 and OWA to access the mail and other items.

Once you support IMAP4 and OWA, Mail+Safari is no less capable than Entourage.

B

4. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

But if he's trying to connect to an Exchange server (Exchange 2000 or 2003, not sure about 5.5), that's his best bet. I'm supporting that set up here at my job so I know it works. All he needs to know is the name of the Exchange server, his Active Directory domain name, ID, and password. Here's the link with all of the info...

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/entourage2004/entourage2004.aspx?pid=exup2004

5. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

I may have missed your point (long day)...but you're right...it's not Outlook.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The point is Outlook works with Exchange Server out of the box, Entourage and Mail do not and both require your Exchange administrator to enable optional features of Exchange.

If IMAP4 and OWA are not already enabled on your Exchange Server, knowing the name of your mail server won't help.

That's what
    means on the page linked above.

B

7. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Outlook Web Access isn't strictly required for Entourage, but IMAP4 is. That said, OWA is probably a better alternative than Entourage--even in the dumbed-down Firefox/Safari version. Don't buy a copy of Office in order to connect to an Exchange server--you'll find it nowhere near adequate for the money.