Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
OK. I've reached my frustration point. I check my .Mac mail in Safari and the text is all garbelled. Kind of like its the wrong font, maybe some mathematical font, because it has fractions and whatnot in it. I check it in Explorer and it shows up fine.

I figure it must be a font setting or something, but changing the font in the preferences dosent have an effect. Ive done everything I can think of, but to no avail. When I go to the support pages on Apples site, I cant read them because the text there is garbelled, too. So, I guess maybe it isnt just my .Mac mail, because some of the text (but not all) on the Apple site is messed up too...:confused:

Please help. Our IT department is of no use, either. Bunch of computer biggots...

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
Not sure what you mean. Do you mean make sure that the font I have Safari set to use is actually installed/activated? Yes, installed and activated.

I have even changed to font in the preferences several times just to see if it makes a difference, and nothing changes.

peterparker

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Houston
No I meant in the Font Book application in Applications. You can choose a font and then Validate Font from File menu to see if any fonts have problems. I don't think that will be the issue but it is a good thing to check first.

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
Oh,
I see. Nope, all seems.fine.

I also checked it in Firefix and it displays correctly. Any chance maybe Safari is jacked up and should be re-installed? Maybe I'll try that.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Perhaps an upgrade to 10.4.3 will fix it (since I believe it includes a new Mail app).

Also, repairing permissions sometimes does weirdly wonderful things.

peterparker

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Houston
The Apple support site uses a font from the following list. Can you see if they are valid in Font Book?

Lucida Grande, Geneva, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.