Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gravity black

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Hello All,

I couldn't find this topic when searching the forums, or through the Googles, (if it's out there feel free to link).

I've been trying wholeheartedly to switch my email workflow to the Mail.app that's built into OS X Mountain Lion, from the Gmail web interface. I have a number of reasons for doing this–some philosophical and related to privacy, others practical and related to offline email storage.

In any case, I'm having a hard time getting used to the layout, and wondered if any options or workaround exist, (I'm open to installing plugins), for the following two issues related to the UI:

1) I seem to be able to hide the Accounts pane, but not the pane for the list of emails in that account. Therefore, at best, I have two panes open at all times. Can this be changed?

2) When I get a message and I want to reply, I click the 'reply-to' button in the message within the thread, and it opens an entirely separate window. Is there a way to just make it reply in the main Mail window?

I'm just trying to get the UI to work the way that I'm used to. I know it may not be fair to try to make the interface work like Gmail's, and if I could understand the reasoning behind this, I'd probably feel differently. However, having this many panes and windows open at once makes me constantly rearrange things and shuffle windows, rather than thinking about what I'm writing.

I believe that this interface is similar to Outlook's, so people coming from that world might have an easier time with it. However, I've simply used the Gmail web interface for my entire adult life, and all of this separation and division seems more confusing than is necessary.

Any thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.