Mac Mail - Is There a Database?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ogie Ogilthorpe, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Ogie Ogilthorpe macrumors newbie

I am transitioning from a G4 Powerbook to a MacBook Pro and trying to take my Mac Mail with me. When I used the backup utility, because I am going from PowerPC to Intel, the file doesn't transfer.

Is there a database or file(s) that I can copy from the PowerPC to Intel?

I also tried transfering the files via initial powerup. The MacBook Pro seems to run sluggish when I transfer from the PowerPC. I then reformated the MacBook Pro, didn't transfer files from the PowerPC, and the MacBook Pro runs fine.

Mail is only the thing I really care about. I currently have over 6GB on the PowerPC.

Thanks (in advance)!!

2. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Eh? By backup utility do you mean the Migration Assistant? Why can't you use that going from PowerPC to Intel, it worked wonderfully on mine.

Tiger stores its emails as one email per file (ie if you have 3000 emails thats 3000 files.) Your computer will be sluggish after transferring because Spotlight has to go out and index all of those new files. After it is done, however, it should go back to normal.

EDIT: BTW the files are stored in Users -> username -> Library -> Mail

3. Ogie Ogilthorpe thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac Mail

How long does Spotlight take to Index the email? If I have over 6GB of emails?

I wonder if that is the sluggishness I am experiencing.

I am using Backup, which comes with .Mac

When I restored the file, the Mail.app would not open. When I did more info, it said PowerPC vice Universal as file type.

Thanks